From a flooded field in Eastbridge to the Island Mere.

Limpy and I had a day to ourselves yesterday so we decided to head to Minsmere despite the very cold conditions.  We'd just passed the Eel's Foot Inn at Eastbridge when Limpy got very excited and indicated that I should stop the car.  It was a good call, too:

I'm trying to remember if I've seen a glossy ibis before - if I have it certainly wasn't anywhere near as close as this!

I'm a sucker for birds with subtle sheens to their feathers.

I think it must be used to the attention it's been getting as it didn't bat an eyelid as three over-sized camera lenses were all trained on it.

This nearby robin decided the ibis had been getting quite enough attention, thank you very much.

This is Sweetie.  He lurks on the path to Island Mere and actually comes when Limpy calls!  Limpy carries seed for his appearances.

There were at least eight or nine marsh harriers lurking just in sight.  I wish this one had been closer.

This pair are clearly working up to full canoodling!

One of three mute swans on a long take-off.

A beautifully marked youngster peers at me.

This mallard is paying the proper homage to his attractive mate.

A male marsh harrier flies by.

Two equally impressive birds showing off their flying skills.

An incoming cormorant.

Almost there!

'What are you looking at?'

Something else has caught his attention!

This has happened before - Sweetie had followed Limpy to the Island Mere!  We headed to the Visitor Centre not long after his appearance as Limpy wanted to encourage him to go back to the woodland.

I hope you all enjoy these.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Sweetie's been hanging round Island Mere quite a bit recently, even when Limpy's not there.  I wondered who he was shouting for outside the hide :-)

Mrs WJ and I went to see the Ibis in the afternoon as it was still hanging round near the road.  On the downside it had started to drizzle, on the plus side it gave pretty shots with droplets on its back :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Unknown said:
    Mrs WJ and I went to see the Ibis in the afternoon as it was still hanging round near the road.  On the downside it had started to drizzle, on the plus side it gave pretty shots with droplets on its back :-)

Ooh, are you going to be posting your photos?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Another wonderful selection of birds, Clare.  I love the 'romantic' swans, but particularly loved the glossy ibis, which I certainly have never seen.  Fancy just coming across it on the verge!  

However, I do know the Eel's Foot Inn very well!  We first came across it many years ago when we were at the reserve, and were looking for somewhere for lunch.  We walked from the sluice to Eastbridge.  We have seen the Inn develop over the years, and the last time we were there (in November, when we bumped into a fellow ospreyholic at, I think, Island Mere!) we noticed that the Springwatch team and crew had left their signatures and drawings on the ceiling!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• SheilaFE said:
    However, I do know the Eel's Foot Inn very well!  We first came across it many years ago when we were at the reserve, and were looking for somewhere for lunch.  We walked from the sluice to Eastbridge.  We have seen the Inn develop over the years, and the last time we were there (in November, when we bumped into a fellow ospreyholic at, I think, Island Mere!) we noticed that the Springwatch team and crew had left their signatures and drawings on the ceiling!

I find myself wondering who the fellow ospreyholic was.  Do they post on here?

Funnily enough we almost never go into the Eel's Foot and have never seen the signatures and drawings!

• Clare Bailey said:
    Ooh, are you going to be posting your photos?

OK, I'll upload them into a thread, as you insist! :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• YAY!  (Link to them here).

• "Limpy and I had a day to ourselves yesterday so we decided to head to Minsmere"

Isn't that like a busman's holiday Clare?

Glad you did though lovely pics and the Ibis is a wonderful, such a rare find. The swan pics are great, you've got the making of a valentines card with those two swans. Will look out for sweetie next time I visit.

• Fantastic photos Clare and Limpy.

• Lovely selection from you day out Clare, the swans are really getting loved up!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks, Clare, thanks for posting.  Love the Swans and Robin Sweetie, of course!  Well done, Limpy, for spotting the Glossy Ibis.  They are beautiful birds.  We saw one several years ago at RSPB Frampton Marsh where we went after Birdfair.  It, too, was just off the road and totally unfazed by people or their equipment.  A very large farm machine was operating within only half a dozen metres of the one we saw and the Ibis was ignoring it completely.

Kind regards, Ann