End of the Year Peskiness

"'Ello" said the Bittern, peering around the boat.  "I've come to round your year off with some end of December peskiness!"

"Ahhh, welcome" says I, "Did you have a nice Christmas?"

"Ooooh, it's been a bit chilly" replies the Bittern, "There've been some sharp frosts recently.  Brrr!!"

The Bittern snapped up a little tiddler passing by.  "That's not very impressive" quoth I, "The last time I saw you fishing you were pulling out monsters!"

"Ahh, well, you know what it's like - I've eaten too much in the last few days, all I can face at the moment is the odd little snack"

"I must admit, you do look well fed" I commented.  "Wot!! Are you calling me fat!!??" the incensed Bittern replied

"Nooooo!!"

"Hmm, not sure I believe you" the Bittern grumbled, marching past the hide

"But I suppose I'll let you off just this once.  By the way, which is my most photogenic side?"

"You're wonderful from any angle" I complimented the Bittern in my smoothest manner

"Hah!  You ol' flatterer" the Bittern muttered, but I still noticed the satisfied smirk as the reeds swallowed the ghostly form "Think of everything you're missing by only paying attention to me...."

Slightly mystified by that parting shot, we settled down with a cup of coffee to celebrate a year's worth of peskiness.  But then spotted what the enigmatic Bittern was talking about.  What a lovely end to the year :-)