Growing up and Moving out

Last weekend seemed to be all about things growing up or on the move.  Beardies are grown up and hopping about all over the shop - I see there are even going to be some walks through the reedbed to try and see these birds close up, which sounds fun!

You have to be careful with Beardies though, they don't always spend their time on the reedtops, sometimes they hide down on the ground, like this one

At the opposite end of the spectrum of course, Hobbies have been giving some great displays as well.  They're taking advantage of the masses of dragonflies that are zipping around - especially the Common Darters Ian blogged about earlier in the week.  They cruise the reedbeds and woodland edges, like this one Mrs WJ spotted

and make short work of anything they snatch with their talons

They do get pestered though - corvids like this Jackdaw take special pleasure in chasing them around it seems!

So, with September drawing to a close, the seasons are moving onwards.  I even saw my first "Get it by Christmas" advert yesterday.  Which can only mean one thing.  Yes it's Deer Dressing-up time again folks!  Deer Safaris start at Minsmere tomorrow :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

Parents
  • Beautiful set of photo's WJ, we were there on Wed and had a fly past of 8 beardies at the East Hide with some on the mud to the left of the hide but all too far and too quick to get any pictures. We also saw the hobbies from the car park but again too far for pictures. Love the stag dressing up, we spotted one in the water feeding opposite the wildlife lookout but right into the sun so only flare and no deer to see.

• The Beardies do seem particularly plentiful this year and it's the best numbers of Hobbies I've seen personally too - so definitely looking like it's been a decent year for them :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Now you are teasing us with all those beautiful shots from Minsmere WJ including such beautiful close ups of the Bearded Tits and not a grit tray in sight  lol   What a bonus to see the Hobby and a blue sky at same time and super capture in flight eating an insect "on the wing"      Wonderful set as always;  looking forward to any more deer updates and your photos of stags locking antlers !   I might venture into our local Tatton Park next week ..... with the 2x extender fitted  lol  

Regards, Hazel 

• Always a pleasure to see the Beardies especially in amongst the reeds. I'm always hopeful they might occur in the reed beds on my local patch but no such luck. I don't think the reed beds are large enough.

Nice bonus to see the Hobbies feeding on the wing.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Always a pleasure to see the Beardies especially in amongst the reeds. I'm always hopeful they might occur in the reed beds on my local patch but no such luck. I don't think the reed beds are large enough.

Nice bonus to see the Hobbies feeding on the wing.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

Children
No Data