LG Osprey GABFEST for November 2012

The 2012 Loch Garten season started with disappointments.  Then we lost the baby in traumatic circumstances. Then in October we lost the second of this year’s chicks, Alba.

So now in November we look forward to following the adventures of our one surviving tracked LG youngster, Caledonia.  She apparently left home to move to the city, where she has been exploring city life.  Will she become a city girl or will she eventually pack up and move on to Africa?  They say you can take the girl out of country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl.   Many hope she will stay in Spain.   We shall see. 

We will be following other tagged UK osprey as well as other birds and wildlife as interesting nests or stories become available.

Also during November we hope to have another Music Night and our third StreetWalk.

• Am crushed by the news from Dyfi but have decided to hang on to hope until the next set of data.

I came here with an unusual tale of a kestrel seeking refuge on a boat in the North Sea! 

But it's unlikely to cheer anyone up in the circumstances :'(

IMAGICAT

• scylla, I saw that yesterday a nice story.

• Belated happy birthday toyou Tiger

• Scylla a lovely story friend and amazing about the Kestrel. I did read but thank you for positng and a lovely story. A chance for the Kestrel and lets hope it is ok. :).

Lowry and Syclla I expect the worst and will wait. I am not going to get my hopes up as devastated now. If good news thenI will be so happy but expecting the worse and if not be jumping off the roof tops.

I cannot explain how hurt I am. My two favourite moments this year Ceulan being rescued  and he could be Ok. I said about 09 having a family. That still is a highlight and he a legend  and devasted he has gone

A rotten year for all nests because of the weather and Alba I forgave and admired her so much. I thought if any would make it back Alba would.

A belated happy birthday to Tiger another year wiser but not possible as the walking Encyclopedia.:)

• Hi all. I'm NiteOwl's OH. She's a bit down and under the weather at the moment, so hasn't been posting much. I've been reading your Gabfest for a while now, and often have a good old chuckle at it!

Just posting a video i have done to cheer her up a bit. (It's of our meeting with Black Jaguar at Loch Lomond a few weeks ago.)  She's very down tonight over the news about Ceulan. I am too. I remember that day in summer, I got home from work in the morning, logged on, and watched the YouTube video of his fledging. When I saw him landing in the field and glaring up at the cows, I laughed and laughed. I had already been following the story of the Dyfi team's decision to intervene and save him.

What's poignant about the video is that one of the many conversations we were having with BJag when taking the pictures was over our support of Dyfi's decision to do all they could to give Ceulan a fair chance of life. I do think that, even if his life proves to have been cut short, the Dyfi teams actions should always be remembered as a great success. Ceulan's comical fledging will always be one of my favourite wildlife moments.

• Latest from the downloads at Dyfi

Paul Wildlifewriter  -  I have been looking over the files that Emyr sent earlier, and will probably spend most of tomorrow morning looking at them as well. In the interim, I can answer a couple more of the questions questions raised so far...

(a) The variation in "altitude" reading at a fixed position is not significant. Because of the way the GPS location system works, vertical positions are less stable than horizontal positions with the same parameters. It would take a huge mass of text to explain why this is so, and I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it.

(b) There is no evidence that the tracking device is malfunctioning in any way. Indeed, all its telemetry (including movement and temperature) sensors are still working correctly. The temperature readings are interesting but require a lot more work before any conclusions can be drawn.

(c) There have been no unusual or extreme weather events in the area during the last seven days.

We have no other useful information at this time.

• Hi Mulberry - I have always admired your videos of Scotland recently posted by NiteOwl and to such great music. I did take it you very much enjoyed your holiday in Scotland.

Tell NiteOwl I am thinking of her and wish her a speedy recovery. I miss her GSOH on here when she is not posting.

We all supported Dyfi intervention with Ceulan - Unfortunately this is The Life of Ospreys.

• many thanks Mulberry for the beautiful video of Loch Lomond! I do hope that NiteOwls feeling better soon. We are devastated bythe news of Ceulan! Its happening all too often lately and with dear Alba as well!

• Hello everyone; a quick visit.

Worrying times and praying for dear Ceulan. Will await the next update.

Keith thankyou for posting the info from the facebook site.

Mulberry thankyou for your video; I will watch it at at later date and always enjoy yours and Nightowl's films.

Nightowl take care and hope you are feeling better soon, will be thinking of you.

Tiger a very happy belated birthday to you and here's to a good year ahead :-)

Going to have to go now, after a quick comment on another thread then off. Take care all and am with you hoping that Ceulan is OK. I cannot believe how quickly these birds appear to be perishing, one after the other, and said a long time ago "why oh why Africa?". Especially the Senegalese area. I know there are exceptions. But they appear to be just that - exceptions:-(((

• Mulberry yours and Niteowls videos are wonderful as the meeting with jag and Sunshine on the Humber Bridge. You both have to stop making me well up. I will be honest and tell the truth but I now know NiteOwl a fabulous Lady and I did say the red car is well known.and I love that car.

NiteOwl I am also in bits about Ceulan and you get better soon x can't stop crying but not allowed as we are not supposed to get close. I have and hugs for you x

Mulberry yours and NIteOwls videos fabulous and nice to meet you. I loved the steam train from Mallaig to Fort William :)

I am now going to look at your latest video. Arisaig if you get good weather the sea is Turquoise and the whie sands full of silver. Love Arisaig and thank you both