LG Osprey GABFEST for November 2012

The 2012 Loch Garten season started with disappointments.  Then we lost the baby in traumatic circumstances. Then in October we lost the second of this year’s chicks, Alba.

So now in November we look forward to following the adventures of our one surviving tracked LG youngster, Caledonia.  She apparently left home to move to the city, where she has been exploring city life.  Will she become a city girl or will she eventually pack up and move on to Africa?  They say you can take the girl out of country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl.   Many hope she will stay in Spain.   We shall see. 

We will be following other tagged UK osprey as well as other birds and wildlife as interesting nests or stories become available.

Also during November we hope to have another Music Night and our third StreetWalk.

• Sunshine and Jag thanks for the greeting.

Jag I did have a Magners.

• HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIGER, bit belated but better late than never :))

• Back HOME - Thought I would have a quick look to see if any news from Dyfi regarding CUELAN - Nothing yet on facebook but many eagerly await any news.

I will just say Hello/Goodbye here as I can not possibly wade through the volume of posts on this thread over the past 24 hours and will just have to miss them. Unfortunately with the volume some important posts may be missed but am sure if I look through other threads any important osprey news may be posted elsewhere. See you sometime once I can see light through this thread.

• News now on Facebook but not looking good.  More definite news next Wednesday to confirm today's data.

• Valc I checked dyfi and got as far as Facebook, where I was blocked as I needed the "log in" and that I will not do.  Can you tell  us more of what it said., please.

• Hi June - you don't need the log in, I get that and I just close it, then you can read everything.  I think it is just to encourage people to join.

• Here it is in case you don't manage.

17:30 Ceulan's data came in a couple of hours ago and I've been trawling through it trying to make some sense out of it.

Ceulan's tracker has more or less been in the same place since Tuesday lunchtime. Have a look at the electronic data on the map below - the coordinates are on the left. The tracker says it is (mostly) either at '16.53233 -15.52533' or '16.53217 -15.52533'. These coordinates are just 18m apart, well within the error range for GPS coordinates.

Another me

tric, the activity reading that we get with every point, indicates whether the tracker is either moving or is in the same place. Ceulan's tracker is saying that it is moving!

It is difficult to say this, but it is extremely unlikely that Ceulan would have been in such a confined range for over four days. Yes, he could have gone fishing everyday and flown back to the same place that he started from, but each time he would have to have gone after the hour and returned before the next hour, so as to not register being near the water or moving.

Paul commented on the last post that Ceulan was on an electric pylon and he was indeed right. If you zoom in enough, you can see it on Google Earth. I don't want to speculate now on what's happened, the next data is in next Wednesday. That data set should tell us definitively one way or another. But for now I have to say that it does not look good.

Press full screen to see the map better. Data key is Date/Time/Latitude/Longitude/Speed/Course/Altitude(m). I'll be back later to answer any questions.

• June, i'm not on Facebook and I can read it ok, just close it as Starling says.

• 17:30 Ceulan's data came in a couple of hours ago and I've been trawling through it trying to make some sense out of it.

Ceulan's tracker has more or less been in the same place since Tuesday lunchtime. Have a look at the electronic data on the map below - the coordinates are on the left. The tracker says it is (mostly) either at '16.53233 -15.52533' or '16.53217 -15.52533'. These coordinates are just 18m apart, well within the error range for GPS coordinates.

Another metric, the activity reading that we get with every point, indicates whether the tracker is either moving or is in the same place. Ceulan's tracker is saying that it is moving!

It is difficult to say this, but it is extremely unlikely that Ceulan would have been in such a confined range for over four days. Yes, he could have gone fishing everyday and flown back to the same place that he started from, but each time he would have to have gone after the hour and returned before the next hour, so as to not register being near the water or moving.

Paul commented on the last post that Ceulan was on an electric pylon and he was indeed right. If you zoom in enough, you can see it on Google Earth. I don't want to speculate now on what's happened, the next data is in next Wednesday. That data set should tell us definitively one way or another. But for now I have to say that it does not look good.

Press full screen to see the map better. Data key is Date/Time/Latitude/Longitude/Speed/Course/Altitude(m). I'll be back later to answer any questions.

• I can't seem to post the picture though June, sorry!