LOCH GARTEN - May/June 2024

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

Good morning - I've just got my laptop out to do emergency stream-stopping and -deleting, it's about to seize up.

I wanted to post a snap of the fish I reported but couldn't get a good view off it - sunrays on nest cam and not very clear on PTZ - but I could see that he's eaten more of it than I thought, it may have been dangling skin making it look more presentable.

I note your msg re Tech Thread instructions, WENDY,

A few minutes ago they were both on the nest but one has since flown off.

I'm still not in working order.

IMAGICAT

• May 18, 2024 - Day complete

Fish:  12:30 (Asha off camera)

Mating:  4:40, 6:44, 7:36, 7:57, 8:58, 9:46, 19:21, 19:24, 20:13, 21:57.   All with KL5.  All (F)ailures except 19:24 and 20:13..

The (S)uccess or (F)ailure indication is purely my untrained observation.  

2 S, 8 F

• My sympathies Scylla, do hope it improves soonDisappointed relieved

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sunday 18 May 2024

With some Chat comments included

03:59                 KLive and Asha land on the nest together.  Asha immediataely starts to call in to nest.

04:04   Canuck  KL5 flies to dead tree by tower

04:40   Canuck  KL5 flies back to nest for mating attempt (unsuccessful)

04:42   Canuck  KL5 flies off

06:20   Keko     KL5 in...

06:26                 away

06:44   Keko     attempted mating

KL5 away

07:06   Keko     the early mist is clearing

07.36   Valerie  KL5 arrives

8:09:45             KL5 brings in large stick

08:15   Jane de Wilde  both on the nest, Asha is fish soliciting,

08:18   Holly29 KL5 is fighting with his large stick, then flies away

08:58   Keko     attempted mating

09.20                 Asha up to nest perch

09.45                 Asha drops to nest cup, and mantles low.  She watches above.

09.46                 KLive lands on her back and paddles.  She has no reaction, and he drops off, and also mantles, looking around.

09.47                 She starts calling

KLive flies.

09:55                 Asha flies away, first to the north, towards the old nest and round to the east, and disappeared over the bog

09.57                 PTZ cam pans, looking at regular perches.

09.59                 Back to the nest

11.00                 Klive lands fishless, and looks around.  Cam zooms out to show the trees and bog, then further out to the east, with the nest at the bottom of the screen

11.03                 KLive flies off, westward, towards us.

12.40                 Cam has a wander.  To the VC and back to the nest and the distant mountains.  Right and left.  It's yet another glorious day.

13.02.42            It looks like a satellite dish!         

13.04                 Cam returns to the nest.

13.37                 A chaffinch investigates the nest, and finds some soft nesting material to line its nest.

13.38                 It departs and PTZ cam searches the area

13.44                 An osprey flies in from the left and lands in a tree with a prominent left branch.

13.45                 If takes off, flying to the right through the trees and behind a bank of trees, disappearing.

18.21                 Asha lands with a chirrup, and muddy legs!!  Has she been paddling or fishing!  She moves a thick long stick which was lying in the middle of the nest, and places it on the rim.  Chat say it's not Asha.

19,14                 Asha is still there, alone.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Posted by a member of the staff on the "LG and Other Ospreys" Facebook site:

18 May - 12:30-13:00 ish Asha could be seen from the LG visitor centre eating a fish. Unfortunately she was not visible on camera but she was still perched there when the centre closed.
  • Thank you Canuck. She might have popped to Loch Garten to clean up, which perhaps accounts for the muddy legs, and then come back to the nest at 18.21

• Asha sitting in nest. Is it feasible that she could still have eggs now ? 

• I can't  say, ailie, but I imagine it's  feasible. I'm  not good at numbers.

22.25 Asha flew off, possibly to her overnight roost.

Just popping in to check events - thank you for all reporting !!!

SheilaFE said:
    8:09:45             KL5 brings in large stick

Could hardly be seen on nest cam, what with sunrays - and was so faint on PTZ I'd have to paint it in, so here's a gif, hope it brings it out a bit:

IMAGICAT

• 19 MAY

Ultra close-up of "someone" on PTZ right now, if you get here later and scroll back.

I can't capture now.

IMAGICAT