NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

• Sääksilive #4
    The drama continues and is very hard to watch really..
    Una hasn’t had fish since Tuesday 7pm and that was the first, or maybe part of a second in 24 hours. It was also the last time Niilo (the father) was seen
    So Una is mostly on the nest by himself crying for food… Cry

At least there is water nearby and he took a plunge, as he was shaking off water when he returned.

At sääksilive #3 fledging is imminent I think.. and food is good

• Where do you get a link to the Saaksilive camera Bart?
  • There is a webpage on www.saaksilive.fi/.../ with all the cameras live..

Or from youtube.com/.../Saaksilive

The chat is sääksilive #1, in Finnish.. so what I do is in a webbrowser detach the chat and then translate to English..
    Almost by accident it seems, it got translated in the yt app too, but that is gone again
  • The three Tweed Valley brothers' names have been revealed:

• #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)

UNA is now alone in the nest, even the mother has not been around the past 24 hours..  

However she seems to be doing pretty good, considering. She might have found a food source somewhere early afternoon (not confirmed). She stopped calling for food since early this afternoon, either because she found food, or because there is nobody to call to.

There was just a message on the chat:

"Finnish Animal Protection (SEY) has been following various broadcasts based on several reports recently. They have decided that it is wiser not to intervene in the situation, .because the bird (UNA) is able to fly and healthy."

• Bart molenaar said:

#4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)

UNA is now alone in the nest, even the mother has not been around the past 24 hours..  

However she seems to be doing pretty good, considering. She might have found a food source somewhere early afternoon (not confirmed). She stopped calling for food since early this afternoon, either because she found food, or because there is nobody to call to.

There was just a message on the chat:

"Finnish Animal Protection (SEY) has been following various broadcasts based on several reports recently. They have decided that it is wiser not to intervene in the situation, .because the bird (UNA) is able to fly and healthy."

Keeping everything crossed for UNA Pray

• #4 Sääksilive

At last some very, very, good news for Una: Mum brought a fish to the nest!! I am soo happy now..

It was the first time we have seen her eating since last Tuesday, but she must have been hunting for herself, or being fed by mum (or dad) off screen.

Also while mum brought the fish someone flew over the nest.. Probably Dad, but who knows... 

• Thanks for this great update, Bart. A huge relief.
  • Yes, I'm all behind with everything !!!

Geemeff said:
    Conservation Without Borders Flight Of The Osprey (#FOTO) team are at Tweed Valley this afternoon to reveal the names of the three tagged juveniles they'll be following overland along the migration path down to west Africa.

How very, very exciting that we'll have a slight acquaintance with them, thanks for the info, GEEMEFF.

ALAN - thanks for the WOW news from Lochter (and to GLIDER for adding the FB snap) and for the wonderful news from Yorkshire, for us and for MrsG and Aran, Heather and all at Glaslyn Hugging

BART - thanks for Una's gorgeous close-up, loved her voice at the end too.  I wonder why nearly all European osprey cams are "better" than ours?  Maybe it's the result of EU injections of cash, they're able to afford better cams, better connections... ???

What a relief to see Una fed, let's hope they're back to normal now.

Thanks to everyone I haven't thanked but should have !!! xxx

• Bart molenaar said:

#4 Sääksilive

At last some very, very, good news for Una: Mum brought a fish to the nest!! I am soo happy now..

It was the first time we have seen her eating since last Tuesday, but she must have been hunting for herself, or being fed by mum (or dad) off screen.

Also while mum brought the fish someone flew over the nest.. Probably Dad, but who knows... 

————————————————————————————————————————————————————

That is fantastic news Bart. Ospreys are so unpredictable!