NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

IMAGICAT

• 02 August

Alyth

Whenever there were 3 birds on the nest today, one of them was ringed - ie, a parent.

Tweed Valley

I switched it on around 16:00 hoping to catch the end of the transmission day - but got nothing.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Glider. Distressing news indeed for both nests.
  • Thanks Bart for clarification. Hopefully you might hear some good news
  • Alyth

I have looked back through the footage overnight and to start with, all was quiet.
    At 03.42 a juvenile arrives through the dark and attempts to land on the perch. It took a few attempts before he/she made it. At 4.18 left the nest.
    This might make a good video if anyone feels like making one?

04.30 - 06.25 Break in transmission.

07.14 Mum (Blue KH0) arrives and calls for fish
    07.15 She is joined by one of the juveniles. They both hop on and off the nest until

Alyth 3 Aug 2022

07.30 Dad arrives with fish, juvenile gets it. Mum returns within a few minutes and the juvenile keeps it away from her and eventually flies off with it at 07.34

08.00 Mum stays on the nest until Dad arrives at 08.18 with half eaten fish. Mum flies off with it only to return a few minutes having eaten it all.

10.18 Mum and both juveniles on the nest calling.

Alyth 3 Aug 2022

No more activity noted before midday.

• Bart molenaar said:
    There is constantly a predator flying around, chat saying it is a Seahawk and they are notorious for stealing fish

I thought that a Seahawk is just another name for an Osprey - and that silhouette didn't look like an Osprey to me

In my limited experience, 24 hours missing is not a death sentence, fingers crossed for the youngster.

GLIDER - Thanks so much for going where others (like moi) fear to tread in the quest for info.  Unfortunately none of us has followed this nest closely from the start, and the chicks are not ringed, so we're at a disadvantage trying to keep tabs on them at this late stage - prompted by a bit of drama!

That looked like a Goshawk to me, Scylla - I only look in occasionally on the Finnish, Latvia and Estonian nests now as their chicks are so often predated by Goshawks. Who can forget poor Vita's bewildered face when she returns after trying to chase it away to find only one chick there. And sadly, that chick was taken the following day, probably by the same Goshawk

• Wow, 4 chicks is quite an achievement!
  • I took a screenshot of the Lochter Facebook photo. Thanks for finding such lovely news Alan.

Unknown said:

What a busy nest and great achievement by these parent birds.

• #4 Sääksilive (Osprey Cam in Finland)

Una hasn't returned to the nest and chances of survival are getting very slim indeed.

I made an error in the description, calling the intruder a seahawk. I meant (or the chat calls it) a sea eagle, and I wrote hawk instead... sorry...

Una is doing well, although the winds are wrong for fishing by dad so he didn't have much to eat..

On the alternative camera Sääksilive managed to catch an 8 minute beautiful close-up of Una

• Tweed Valley Ospreys

Conservation Without Borders Flight Of The Osprey (#FOTO) team are at Tweed Valley this afternoon to reveal the names of the three tagged juveniles they'll be following overland along the migration path down to west Africa. They attended the ringing and tagging on 12th July: three brothers Blue Darvic 706, 707, and 708. All three fledged w/c 20th July.