NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2022

News from Other Nests 2021

CAPTIVA OSPREYS - Andy & Lena

I'd been posting in "Forum Friends", here's a snap brought over, for the sake of starting this thread with something!

IMAGICAT

• 21 April

I've added Alyth to the YT channel list in Osprey Chat thread.

It's a good cam but the nestcup is too deep to see the egg/s Grin

Couple of clips from a bit earlier:

IMAGICAT

• Thank you Scylla, it is, or cam needs lifting slightly, but ….. nice to see
  • Cathy said:
    Thanks Mary - they seem a quite pair, I wish them luck

—————————-

Cathy I am quite excited to see a webcam at this nest as I have visited it for many years when I am up at Balgavies. 
    Only watched it from a good distance away, always by ourselves, I guess that has all changed now. 
    it is located between Alyth and Meigle, which is only 12.3 miles from Forfar, where ospreys can be seen fishing in Forfar Loch. Grinning

• It seems so different Mary, it appears to be in the middle of a football pitch (I know it isn't), shame there isn't live chat running with it also, but maybe next year. Seems to be a reliable camera too (so far!)
    Do the have water/fishing close Mary? 12miles isn't far for an Osprey granted, but something a little closer would be useful.
  • 21 April

Tweed Valley

7 clips so far :(

See how the cam time is 11:30 - ie, 1h30m of runtime - whereas my editor says over 2 hours!  That's how much time the glitches take up, I suppose Smirk

At startup this morning someone was standing over the nestcup for 2 hours at least! 

At 12:15 the cam zoomed in slightly - someone was back on the nestcup getting an earwigging from its partner:

Afternoon - can we see the top edge of an egg?  I'm sure there must be one, they've both been sitting:

I got 8 minutes in 3 files up to 16:28, since then the download has been steady so I'm leaving it undisturbed till closing time.

During that 8 minutes one was sitting the whole time:

IMAGICAT

• ALYTH

Unwanted leftover flown in and flown out:

Efficient mating:

You could see this coming!

Evening, so the cam is not quite as sharp.  He's brought fish but she only wanted a comfort break, he jumped into the nestcup with the fish - hope the eggs are OK!  (No idea how many eggs in there.)

Tweed Valley

The egg/s continued to be incubated till closing time, just one break during which time I couldn't see any better than earlier.

IMAGICAT

• Cathy said:
    It seems so different Mary, it appears to be in the middle of a football pitch (I know it isn't), shame there isn't live chat running with it also, but maybe next year. Seems to be a reliable camera too (so far!)
    Do the have water/fishing close Mary? 12miles isn't far for an Osprey granted, but something a little closer would be useful.

Cathy - There are lochs and rivers close by - I would think Loch of Kinnordy which isn't too far away would be a favoured fishing area for the male, as I have watched Ospreys fishing there every time we have been up there. 

SCYLLA - This is the highest pole nest I have ever seen.  A photo from a couple of years ago, and this is only the top half of the pole.  Rubbish photo but we are a great distance away. 

• I hope whatever the farmer is spraying at Alyth at 14.10hrs is safe for the ospreys.
  • JillR said:
    I hope whatever the farmer is spraying at Alyth at 14.10hrs is safe for the ospreys.

————————————

JillR - Ospreys have bred in this particular area for over 30 years first on the pylon and since on this pole nest, so I think they will be safe. GrinningThumbsup

• Thanks for the info Mary.