Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 July 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The Moon turns new on July 9 or July 10 (depending on your location).

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

I'll be back tomorrow to make some replies. 

• Unknown said:
    One job J was considering an application for, he changed his mind (successful candidate was in paper this week and looks as if he was always in line for it anyway but they had to advertise!)

That ought to be outlawed.  It's horrendous that people are allowed to advertise jobs and waste people's time with interviews with no hope of success.  I really hope J gets something suitable soon.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• OG - Most Aussie states seem to have dodged severe lockdowns. Our state relaxed the restrictions today – I hope it encourages OH to go out to lunch, though many restaurants are only open Thurs, Friday & weekends. NSW cases continue to creep up. Their authorities delay imposing lockdowns & thus do not manage as well as other states. Also some people do not isolate & get tested when required – all new cases have close & casual contacts traced and exposure sites are listed.

ANNETTE – In past week a mother southern right whale & calf have been seen 50-100 metres off shore at Christies Beach (about 30 km south of city). A kitesurfer has been charged for sailing too close and now drones are hovering. Idiots.

Anyone whose goods were on the ship that ran aground in Suez Canal last March may receive their goods. . . soon. Compensation has been settled and the ship will be released by the Canal Authority this week.

I’m rather tired. Late to bed as Tour de France finishes about 1 am our time. I need the rest day!!!

• I always say “Morning” instead of “Good morning” because if it was a good morning I would still be in my bed and not talking to people.

Morning is wonderful. Its only drawback is that it comes at such an inconvenient time of day. (Glen Cook)

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. (Steven Wright)

• Unknown said:
    That Roller bird is sublimely beautiful!!! What a treasured moment for you. You'll never forget that.

We were very lucky.  The following day there were no sightings of it and it hasn't been seen since.  I hope this means it's safely on its way south.

Unknown said:
    I looked at all your Rainham Marsh photos. Your photos are really expert, professional quality, Clare. Love that egret. Very engaging.

You're very kind to say so, Diane, and I'm delighted you enjoyed the photos.  I love little egrets - they are such beautiful birds and they can be seen all over this part of the country.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hello to all
    Thank you for news! Thank you to DIBNLIB for the pic of Queens View - it brought back happy memories.
    OG - I would be very frustrated with delay to kitchen.
    My son is still not 100% - wounds on his leg are very slow to heal. He's now been put back on Flucloxacillin plus Metronidazole. Doc and nurse have reinforced the need to lose weight and try and reverse the Type 2 diabetes.
    I'm glad that J is looking for employment. There's a young man who lives with his parents, opposite my house. He has some psychological problems ( chronic anxiety) and his dad tells me that so many years have gone by now, he doubts his son will ever work again.
  • HEATHER  Hope your son keeps progressing.

Another pic from our break in Pitlochry.  This time the River Tay at Dunkeld.

• Sunshine which came and went here, today, plus a sneaky wind which kept the temps down.

We tidied up and after lunch had a nice visit from my OHs niece and husband, as they have been staying only a few miles away, and we offered them coffee & biscuits after they tried to see the Castle at Caernarfon. Sadly they should have pre booked for it so could only walk around the outside, but they enjoyed seeing the Marina and the town. We took them to see our local beach and they made a big fuss of Bonnie, as they've met her before (and like all dogs, of course she remembered!)
  • Hello again – Monday evening, after a wet first part of the day and a pleasant afternoon (rain clouds threatened but didn’t do anything here) and now a very sunny and warm evening.

LINDA – sorry about the les-than-pleasant catch-up with friends! Nice that you saw relatives today.

DIANE – J is making contacts in high places for various possibilities for the summer – mostly voluntary. Does the Cicada desire for tree sap pose any risk to your old trees?

AQ – re whale and baby why can’t people give wildlife the space it deserves! Loved the quotes – especially the second mouse!

HEATHER – I suppose I am frustrated – even angry - about all the delays, but that doesn’t help me or the situation. We wonder – and worry – about J – but “never say never”. Strong drugs for your Son – I do hope he will heal soon.

DIBNLIB - I love Dunkeld! – such a peaceful stretch of the river.

Supper time – but still so light this evening!
  • Unknown said:

DIANE – J is making contacts in high places for various possibilities for the summer – mostly voluntary. Does the Cicada desire for tree sap pose any risk to your old trees?

OG: I hope J can forge some good contacts and eventually find a position that he's comfortable with--maybe expanding into a paid job. The Cicadas don't damage the trees. Actually, they're beneficial. Midwest soil is quite dense, and the cicadas help aerate it. Also, when they die, their bodies add much-needed nitrogen to enrich the soil.