Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 September 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

Everyone have a great week!

• It is a bit like waves on the shore here! Shopping, eating, doorbell ringing....
    Everyone is enjoying meeting up and talking about old times and family lore.
    The Canadians are leaving for Glasgow tomorrow, My son leaves on Thursday.
    I will then spend a week in bed ;-))))
  • I know what you mean about knees, as mine are beginning to complain. We have a hand grip which was once fixed to the wall for my mother to help, but it was taken down when we retiled the bathroom (all done by my useful OH, of course!) And I said we'd better keep that plus a similar one for in the bath, for when we got older. I already dare not take a bath if I'm alone in the house, as I can't get out of it again.

My OH has been off to get the big car MOT'd, and its failed for a small part which needs replacement, so it's going back to the garage on Thursday to be fixed before we go to Wales in it.
  • Goodness, Heather, you've been busy. Nice to have lots of chat about old times.
  • Heather - Yes, you have been busy. I had forgotten what the occasion was, for you to have such a houseful!
    Obviously, the Canadian visit. I am sure a great time was had by all talking about family 'stuff' and getting together.
    You deserve some respite afterwards though. Good to have some time with your son.

Lindy - I am following your loo saga with interest. I like the idea of the discarded throne sitting in splendour in the garden!
    Agree with OG about the height and old knees.
  • Heather, I was interrupted when I was saying how busy you've been. I was going to add: Take it easy and rest, now, you deserve it! Having a houseful of people is fine when you're young enough to enjoy all the preparations and cooking and organising. But it can take it out of you at our age, its just not the same. Even though its lovely to see everyone.

Still putting stuff back into the back porch, and have now emptied the airing cupboard which is in the same bathroom as where my OH has been so busy. It used to house a boiler but now its been shelved and is a useful space for all the towels and nightwear. Gave it all a wipe down and now sorting through said nighties and towels, as I'm sure there are too many of everything and some shabby things should be scrapped.

EDIT:  Reading back, it sounds as if I'm detailing far too much trivia lately, so I'll shut up!

• Lindy - As far as I'm concerned, keep the trivia coming. It gives me many smiles, some feelings of guilt that I'm not doing some of those things I ought to be doing - and often relief from the more serious stuff I seem to spend a lot of time doing (so much better than the silly computer games I sometimes play ... ). The 'trivia' of other people's lives always seems to be so much more interesting than what I think of as the trivia in my life!
  • I think we all enjoy the trivia, LINDA - can share our smiles and laughter - and each realise that the essentials of life are similar for all of us of a certain age! So funny about the retired loo being lower than the new one after all! I can't remember when I last had a bath - I can remember trying at a friend's house about fifteen years ago! I am lucky that we have had a walk in shower available in our homes since the 1980s, and now the wetroom with its "bells and whistles". I hope the car part will be fitted for your getaway on Thursday.

HEATHER - sounds like a wonderful but hectic weekend, especially just after your travels to Wales and back - nice that you can have a couple of days with your Son now to catch up on the grandchildren and his business.

My day has been so filled with trivia that I can't remember any of it!
  • I'll tell you of some trivial things:
    They are what fill my days
    Like most, the small stuff bothers me
    And can leave me in a daze.

Should I go out to trim the shrubs?
    Or stay indoors to scrub bathtubs?
    Or then, perhaps go out for grubs
    When the parcel man might turn up?

Should I go cook a giant stew
    To stock up with the future in view?
    Or could we maybe just "make do"
    With something really simple - phew!

Small decisions every day, such as
    Unexpected friends might stay
    When calling in for come what may
    (I wonder if I dusted yesterday?)

My Other Half's a busy man:
    Since he retired, my weekly plan
    Has gone AWOL, so housework now
    Gets done when time and days allow.

Our days are very different since
    Our young ones flew the nest -
    At first we were still working hard
    And a doin' of our best!

Now we've retired, there is more time
    To relax, not rush, and with dizzy heights to climb
    A crossword or Soduku puzzle
    A dog to walk, or just to nuzzle.

The hours get filled
    With I know not what -
    At end of day, wine hits the spot!
    Or just a soothing cup of tea - heaven in a mug for me :-)

• Oh Lindy, we love hearing your trivia (or news). It does make us smile. I think we are all interested in your OH's latest project. He really is Action Man!
    Yes, getting out of the bath can be an interesting experience. Not a pretty sight.

I was going to investigate a new wool shop which has opened nearby this morning, but it was pouring with rain, so I caught up on one of my least favourite chores. Cleaning the filters of the extractor fan. They are metal ones, so not just a job of changing the filter. They need a scrub. Then I cleaned the hob surround. This is some sort of sprayed on stainless steel. It is certainly not stainless, and has a rough surface so is a (sweary word) to clean. This afternoon, I finished sewing up one of my patchwork blankets. That was my exciting day.
  • Hi all, its been rather damp down here with heavy showers and a bit of sunshine in between. Fortunately we don't seem to get the severe rain, having said that there was quite a bit round the county today with the M1 in Northants being flooded in places. OH well , managed to get to my Woman's meeting OK.

OG - glad to hear you have managed to book in somewhere for the trip to Manchester. I am sure all will go well for J and pleased to see he is managing to get to his church.

Lindy - talking of winnings, managed to win £20 on the People's Lottery of which I subscribe to. Goes into my bank account so no chance of spending it as such.

Annette - You seem to have your hands full with Ms. D - I take it this is your g.grand-daughter. Have fun.