Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 July 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON! 

The full moon -- the Buck Moon -- is Tuesday. 

Sorry for starting the thread early. I got up really early to work, and I'm off to take a nap. I thought I'd go ahead and start it. Very hot here today.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• I was also shouting for Roger - and even J joined in - he almost never watches any sport and it was good to see him animated. I felt both the players won - through stamina and skill. They are so closely matched and of course know each other's game from frequent matches.

Cricket also had a "tie break" situation - and a great outcome for England!

Now back to mundane matters - like tidying up, watering the garden etc.
  • My OH watched the cricket in one room whilst I watched the tennis in the other. Both were tiebreaks, so we didn't eat till late today! I also felt that both men won the tennis, in a way - a very close game.

New baby is doing well now, and putting on weight. The whole family will be at the school tomorrow, to watch a concert where Tomasz will play the guitar. School breaks up at the end of the week.

• I spoke to my sister in the UK after the tennis finals; they were trying to keep up with the tennis, the cricket and also Silverstone (my BiL used to work in the auto industry and he and my sister were often at the races there.)

Anyway, have a good Monday everyone.
  • Good Morning. I've had to wait to come onto my desktop, as on my tablet, the WiFi isn't working at all, now. Maybe its the device, maybe its my WiFi connection; I don't know. Will look into it, later.

Lovely sunshine through the windows this morning. My OH has gone off to an extra game of golf, so I have the morning to potter around and get a few small things done. The housework seems to get done in fits and starts since he retired, although he is often out a lot what with golf, the allotment, and his various good deeds! The neighbours came back from their holiday in Anglesey and were fulsome in their praise that he had mowed their lawns, twice, whilst they were away. Actually, the neighbour has a bad back now and so we wonder whether he shouldn't be paying someone to mow his lawns regularly, rather than leaning on the mower and struggling to do it (he's 82).

Annette, my Youngest son is a fan of both the motorsport and the cricket, and had heard how dramatic the tennis was, so spent most of his day cradling the new baby and constantly changing channels on the TV!
  • LINDA - pleased the wee one is feeding now and gaining weight!

Noticed this morning that the Golf also went to a play-off - what a day that was!

St Swithin seems to be smiling on us today - very hot already. Not that I am superstitious at all! I don't even know whether it would apply to the whole UK or just Winchester!

Stuff on its way to charity shop - OH has an ID with them so they can also claim Gift Aid when they sell an item.

Let packing commence!
  • Good evening from chilly Adelaide. I slept in this morn after watching cycling & tennis until cycling ended at 1.15 am. I went to bed unable to see end of tennis (about 3.30 am I believe). Dau phoned while I was eating late breakfast, long chat catching up with their holiday activities, arranged for her & Trio to lunch tomorrow. Sausage rolls & soup made over weekend, so rest of my day cleaning. Also retrieving last of Saturday’s washing from garage. Leftover shepherds pie for tea. If I’m still awake, more cycling tonight <yawn>.
  • Sounds busy, busy, AQ. Enjoy the family visit.

OG: I have a card with Cancer Research and often give them my more valuable (? maybe?) items so that they can claim on them. Seems a good idea. Other stuff goes to the most convenient charity shop when I come out of the car park - I guess they profit from this fact - which is a little known one for people with head injuries.

You will be glad to get this week over with, I'm sure. Hope you all have a good journey both there and back.

ps: glorious sunshine here, now. Will have to leave it for an hour this afternoon as we have to go to our solicitors on some boring errand, but at least its in this town so not far to travel for.
  • Hoping to catch OG before they leave for Manchester and wishing them all well.

I've been aware of the sports results - was thinking about those of us on here who would be watching!

It is a warm day here and we never know how long it will last, so have been busy outside.

I'm up to date with all your news, everyone - I'll get back when I can - ( read that as 'I'll get back when my own back is too sore to do any more work!' )
  • Morning all: That's interesting about the ID/card that would appear to allow UK charity shops to avoid taxes. Here, the donor (that's us) gets a receipt that allows the donor to claim the value for their own tax returns. We often don't bother, depending on what we donate.

Foggy here this morning, which typically means a warmer than usual afternoon, though that's not forecast. Did masses of shopping yesterday, but still have a Costco trip to make. Am also going to take my car to the fancy car wash for a thorough clean after family visit/outings/rides through the hot, windy desert.

OG: Safe trip; fingers crossed for good results.
  • Yes, Annette: you only have to register once and then they give you a card which identifies you, every time you donate. They just swipe it.  At the end of the year you sometimes get a letter telling you what they were able to claim back on your donations.

On online charities, you tick a box saying you are a UK taxpayer and they claim it without your having to do anything.

Heather: Don't do too much!!     <shouting, as you are outside at the moment>

We've been on our errand: of course, as my OH was driving, we got parked in a very busy street in our little town without any trouble - he has the luck of the devil with parking. I went down the same street last week, round the town twice and back again, and ended up having to park in a car park paying 70p for the privilege, for only 15 minutes in a shop I needed to go to.