An Embarrassment of Egrets

I know that's not the official collective noun but I have an embarrassingly large number of Egret photos after this visit!

It's already October, so I thought it was worth a visit on Monday just in case the Beardies would show. However, as they are not known for being early risers, I thought I'd call in to the estuary hides first. I'm glad I did because I was greeted by this.

I admit I love Little Egrets so to have one fishing right in front of the hide in glorious sunshine was great. I haven't had a photo opportunity like that for ages.

There were actually several more around the edges of the pool and then, it was joined by its larger cousin.

Needlessly to say, cameras were overheating to have two such lovely birds so close in - at times my lens was zoomed out to 250mm just to keep the birds in frame.

It was a case of 'fill your boots' as you never know when another opportunity like this will come along.

The Great Egret looked odd when it gave itself a shake and went all fluffed up!

You could even get both birds in the same shot.

I think it thought it had an octopus … but it just turned out to be weed

The Little Egrets changed shift. Beautiful birds but they don't half make a racket!

They still look fabulous in the right light

The Great Egret just carried on

Meanwhile, out the other window, the odd Redshank left the flock and wandered close by.

Superb reflections in the shallow, still water.

A Grey Heron went punk after preening and looks quite annoyed about suffering a bad hair day

There were at least a dozen Greenshank flocked together, too but sometimes one would break ranks and go for a wander closer to the hide.

The shadow in the corner of the next shot is actually the reflection of the punk heron

As you can guess, I took a zillion shots with so many willing subjects. However, I forced myself to go onto the main reserve, where a pair of Bearded Tits showed up after about a half hour's wait on the newly constructed layby. Absolutely gorgeous birds and well-worth waiting for, just to see them, but they spent all their time on the grit trays and none in the reeds, so I didn't take too many photos.

Things are still quite dry in front of Grisedale and Tim Jackson hides, so not too much there on the day. A Marsh Harrier was down opposite Lower hide but too far for photos. Large numbers of Black-tailed Godwits were present at Lillian's hide

Spooked by nothing, they all take flight, which is quite spectacular as they are pretty close

It was one the better photo shoots I've had for a while even if you just consider the stuff at the estuary hides in the morning.

• Terrific set of photos Nigel, love the reflections and nice to see the GE's are still around and their smaller relatives.   Nice the beardies are beginning to use the grit trays and I saw that the new layby had been finished.    The salt marshes are always a good place to start, especially if you get a nice clear day as it looked from your pics.    Had to laugh at the G.Heron with his bad hair day  !          Can't wait to visit there at the end of next week - a whole week off house/garden work and only one minute walk to the reserve each day from the cottage we are renting  :)    bring it on     lol      Once again, great post and photos.

• Lovely collection, Nigel, thanks!  Several wonderful reflections. Perhaps time to resurrect the reflections thread.

• Great set of photos Nigel, all fabulous and even though that Heron is showing off with it's new hair style the G. and L. Egrets have to be the stars of the day, mind you that Greenshank is a very close second standing there on one leg looking beautiful.

• Thanks all

I may have another go at getting the Beardies actually in the reeds, so I'll let you know, Hazy, if I'll get up there when you are there.

I was thinking about the Reflections thread, but didn't want to flood it with repeats, as I had so many!

It's the best photo opportunity I've had with Greenshanks so I like those as well, Gaynor. Mind you, I know I'm biased, but I like a lot of those - probably already got my 3 for October and on the first of the month :)

• Brilliant shots, Nigel. I think the egrets of both species are stunning looking birds and you've got some great reflections of them and the other waders. Very envious of the Beardies which I've never managed to photograph. I don't see them down my way.

It's all looking good for Hazel's visit in the near future.

• Superb set of photos Nigel, and a great story to go with them.

Glad you had a nice day and thanks for sharing your images :)

• Wow, very nice pictures Nige, can't pick a best because you have so many and all are very nice.

• All very nice Nige, love the beardies

• Thanks all

Unknown said:
    Very envious of the Beardies which I've never managed to photograph. I don't see them down my way.

It's a rare pleasure for me. I've only managed to get good sightings in autumn when they start using the grit trays. The rest of the year, not even a 5 o'clock shadow!