Murmurs of otters and other things

I had to remove a bit of frozen snow off the car before driving up but a beautiful day was forecast, so...

Lots of waders and waterfowl around the estuary hides (wigeon, teal, pintail, red and greenshanks, lapwing and curlew) but nothing close in for photos. 

I think this must be Eric (photographed just outside Morecambe hide) trying to look soulful in the hope of a few sunflower hearts ... successfully.

The generally calm Mute Swan Central (just in front of Causeway Hide) was being disrupted by this bully, zooming about and charging all the others. You only have to look at the wave to see the speed he was doing.

A few more sunflower hearts strategically placed and you're soon surrounded by colourful birds on the woodland path to Lower hide.

Some a bit more cautious than others...

I like the way he's peeking out from behind a winter leaf almost exactly the same colour. And I could fill an entire thread with Nutty...

... who happily adopted the typical poses they're best known for

This one is the correct way up!

Something on the ground obviously had it's attention

I found more wildfowl at Grisedale, like this Wigeon drake, as well Jim lurking the corner.

A feeding Gadwall

One of those elegant Pintails

And a little Teal flashing those iridescent head colours in the sun. 

Needless to say, everyone was delighted with this sighting from Jackson hide.

The photo is cropped, but it was around for over an hour and a half, mostly rolling around in this 'nest' of cut reeds and in the end I left before it did, as it was late.

Meanwhile, a Great White Egret briefly dropped in.

And up to three Marsh Harriers performed in the evening sky

I was going home, but decided to trek back over to the Causeway, after the staff suggested a murmuration was possible. According to my calculations there were well over 37 Starlings ... well, quite a few more actually but I was too busy watching them to bother counting.

It was a bit long distance on this occasion, but the first I've ever seen and well worth hanging around for. I needed a lens between the wide angle, which these were done with and the more usual birding lens but didn't have it with me!

An excellent finish to the day.

Nige   Flickr