Leighton Moss Visit Day 3 20-06-17 (Part 1)

We started the day by visiting Warton Crag to see if the Peregrines were showing. They were not, but I tried a few BIF shots of the Jackdaws, just for practice. We then headed for the Morecambe Bay hides, where we saw some young and also an obliging Sedge Warbler. After that we headed for LM itself. Once again we split up upon arrival and went our separate ways, occasionally crossing paths throughout the day. At this point I should mention the wonderful facilities and staff around the reserve and those in the shop and café. Everyone was most enthusiastic and helpful. Some staff were showing around some school children and I took across a newly regurgitated Robin pellet in case they were interested. They duly took it and showed it to the children. The pellet was still damp! The food in the café was as wonderful as ever, especially the egg and bacon baps and the toasted teacakes. It is also worthwhile checking out the book exchange area in the café. I found four interesting volumes; 'Thought Transference (Or What?' In Birds by Edmund Selous, 'Rare and Extinct Birds of Britain' by Ralph Whitlock, 'Bird Life In England' by John Kearton and 'Territory in Bird Life' by Eliot Howard. Two of the books were published in the 1930's and the others in the 40's and 50's. All of them are hardbacks and none cost more than £2-50. You can't go wrong. Anyway, here is part one of the third day. I took over 2,000 photos on this day and editing them has taken a while. I suppose I could have reduced the numbers even further, but this is Robin country and I simply could not do that.

ID on this one please

The BHG's had several sets of chicks dotted around the island opposite the Allen Hide. The parent birds were very protective.

A lone Ringed Plover (I think I remember that correctly) was scurrying across the spit.

I can't for the life of me remember what this is.

OC with chick

A juvenile of some sort, but again I cannot ID it

Back to the OC family.

BHG's doing what they do best

Although this isn't far behind!

The obliging Sedgie

Silhouetted Male Reed Bunting

Back to the main reserve and this is the Robin that produced the aforementioned pellet

Making room for the wax worms

Can I eat a second?

Of course I can

This Robin had lost nearly all of its tail feathers, much like those that I have seen near where I live. Early moulting.

Male PTR who won't hand feed

He will gladly pick them up from the ground though

He's sorting out the wax worms rather than trying to get into the container

Looking for his fledglings

Off to the Lower Hide and a Marsh Harrier made an appearance.

Another large brood of Cygnets

From the side window of the Lower Hide. ID please

Cormorant directly in front of the Lower Hide

I continued along the Lower Hide path all the way to the main road. On my way I found lots of Toadlets on the path

After reaching the road, I doubled back and returned along the Lower Hide path. I encountered this Female Pheasant while I was trying to hand feed a Robin. I ended up hand feeding the Pheasant with a few mealies.

That's part one. Part two to follow shortly...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)