Best Of The Rest From 18-06-17

I arrived at Silverdale just after 12-30 and within a few minutes I was on the Leighton Moss reserve with Hazy and Mike. We visited some hides and naturally I spent some time with the 'Propane Tank Robins'. Their territory adjoins that of 'Pathway Robin' and the male frequently flew past Bugingham Palace to chase away his neighbour. On more than one occasion during the four days that I visited, I saw them engage in physical battles although these were brief and not intense. The PTR's had a nest near the staff building entrance and the young fledged on the Tuesday. I didn't get to see them as they dispersed amongst the nettles and shrubs around Bugingham Palace. The female disappeared but the male remained and was always taking food to his young. Over the four days that I visited, I spent most of my time with these Robins. There was also a juvenile Robin that would intrude into the PTR's territory and was also attacked in the same as Pathway Robin. All very entertaining, to me at least and well worth the time.

This Robin was taking a dip in the stream near the picnic area in the woodland near Lillians Hide

GC Grebe and Humbug

Beautiful female Mallard in the reeds to the left as viewed from the Causeway Hide

This female had her teenaged brood to look after

Male Marsh Harrier. My first BIF pics with the new camera setup, all heavily cropped I should add.

Finally, one with the eye visible

This was the only photo I managed of the Female on her distant perch. I failed to get one of her in flight.

On our way back to the main reserve we saw a single Swallow perched high up on a wire. It turned out to be a regular spot for it and others.

Back to the main reserve and more Robins

Propane Tank Robin

Preening Dunnock next to the propane tanks

Sunning Wren

In the trees above Bugingham Palace, a Marsh Tit (I think)

The tree to the left was a popular spot for more sunning. Juvenile GT.

Male Bullfinch taking in the late afternoon sun

This Robin was one of the many hand feeders and took several wax worms

So that was day one...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)