Bearded tits

It's wonderful at this time of year to see these beautiful birds, I made a special visit last Friday to try and see them and I did indeed! I'd like to make a request though that those who have these huge super duper cameras and wish to spend a long time at the grit tray posts spare a thought for those of us without these and who wish to simply stand , observe and enjoy with the naked eye. I was faced with a wall of cameras and photographers and had to ask that I might have a little look in!
  • Hi there,

How right you are! This October has been absolutely wonderful to see the bearded tits and they are continuing to perform this week as well!

I am really sorry to hear that you struggled to get a spot at the grit tray viewing area, it can get busy down there. On your next visit, it might be worth trying a different part of the reserve. The beardies can often been seen feeding on grit from the paths either down to lower hide or Tim Jackson and Grisedale hides as well.

Thank you for visiting and I hope you can make it to the reserve again soon.

Fran Currie

Visitor Experience Manager

• aHi,

Hope you are well. I agree with you about it being frustrating to get a `look in` at the feeding trays for the bearded tits. There are some ignorant people in all walks of life and a wonderful place like Leighton Moss is in my opinion no exception. I am a wildlife and nature lover and enjoy taking pictures of what I experience. I always try to respect other people but experience the same kind of rudeness that you are talking about. I too have `long lenses` but I am aware of other nature lovers and hope that I am considerate of their needs. I was at the grit feeding station only on Saturday ( 22nd October ) and experienced what you were describing. Most people, photographers like myself, were very considerate, moving aside for others, but one photographer came and pushed his way in front of me, blocking my view, so that he got what he wanted. He did not care, as long as he got the best view! Is he a photographer, or just a selfish person, not caring about anyone else but himself, who happened to want to take pictures? Later that day, I experienced people coming into hides and being extremely noisy, talking at the top of their voices and disturbing wildlife. ( they were not taking pictures ) I love Leighton Moss for lots of reasons. It is a wonderful place for wildlife and nature to survive and the staff are amazing people. Hope you ( and I ) don`t experience this `rudeness` too often in the future, and let`s hope that Leighton Moss and places like it are here for a long time in the future, for wildlife`s sake, and the sake of humanity.

• I agree, Leighton Moss is a wonderful reserve with a lot of fabulous birds and wildlife to see and although I am a hobbyist photographer (with one of those zoom lenses you talk about ! ) I'd like to think most photographers including myself will be aware of other folk wanting to get an equally good view of the Beardies and therefore step aside once they have taken their share of shots.    Alas, it doesn't happen too often especially those with heavy tripods for cameras and scopes set up for the duration !   Because it is such a popular place to see the Bearded Reedlings on the grit trays it gets very crowded most days so most folk arrive at 7.30am (or first light) onwards to stake a place.   I also arrive early but once I've taken my pics or someone is struggling to see I always step aside as nature is something we should share.   As for noise in hides, you will always come across that,  I for one would love L.Moss to discourage visitors bringing into hide areas picnic/snacks, especially noisy crisp and sandwich wrappers  !!  I had to look on the funny side of things on our visit a couple of weeks ago as we went into the Grisedale Hide and one chap was "clattering" around for 20 minutes assembling his scope, storing his wheelie trolley and then tripping over the bench noisily as he settled himself down only to find he wanted a better view and moved further up the hide so it all began again  lol    After more clattering we opted to move to the Tim Jackson hide where we were treated to a picnic party of crackling crisp packets, tea being dispensed from tin flasks rested on the ledges and endless chit-chat  !!    You have to just get on with enjoying the wildlife you see and forget that sometimes people are not aware of their behaviour !    Life is too short to worry.  

Regards, Hazel 

• I appreciate folk visit the reserve from many diverse walks of life and for many reasons. I 've been visiting the reserve for nearly 50 years! How the experience has changed. You used to go into a hide and could expect it to be quiet , but like you say there are endless picnics and chats going on now. When I took my children when they were young I instilled in them the need to be quiet . I tend to avoid weekends completely now, head up there in the morning and still usually find the lower hide quiet....but hush please don't tell anyone !

• Whilst I concur with the previous comments, it would be rather unwise to discourage (noisy, selfish) visitors as the knock-on effect would be a negative impact on RSPB income.   Perhaps a few tactfully phrased notices might serve as a reminder?   My own children and grandchildren were trained from a very young age to be as quiet as possible and to share their space with other visitors. I was amazed at the parental stupidity of a couple recently who were actively encouraging their two children to 'hammer on the window and see if you can make the birds fly!'  When I dared to suggest that it was not the best idea in the world, I was accused of trying to 'spoil their fun'! I'm afraid, at that point, my tact turned to good old-fashioned Northern outspokenness and I informed the parents that they were. in fact, spoiling MINE!  The family then left the hide mumbling about grumpy old twitchers!  Not grumpy - I just know how to behave!  A few carefully-worded notices ASAP please RSPB Managers!