Lots of mud, not many birds!!

We visited yesterday (16/7/15). First thing to do, obviously, was to climb the new Sky tower. What a view, Morecambe and, I hate to say this, mud!

Mud with a couple of moorhens and  a few distant ducks.

We persevered and went to  Grisedale hide. That was worse, just mud, no birds. The flowers were nice!

Tim Jackson hide was better. There was water in front of it with some birds; Great White Egret, Little Egret and a Mute Swan.

I have read the poster and if I understand correctly the water has been drained to encourage reed growth which in turn will encourage Bitterns. It may be just me but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth driving the bird population elsewhere to encourage one species?

We did go to the Coastal hides and there was plenty of bird variety there. This made up a bit for the disappointment on the main reserve.

If it had been my first visit I certainly would have been put off returning. We'll come back after lots of rain!

I would be interested in other people's opinion.

• I have to say you must have visited on the wrong day or, the wrong time of year.  The last visit we made to Leighton Moss was a tad disappointing in that there was not much bird life going on BUT that has been the one and only time.  We visit regularly, sometimes daily, because there is so much to enjoy.  In the past year we have seen:

- the marsh harriers food passing

- bitterns

- grebes doing the reed dance

- countless bearded tits

- fox!

- stoats

- 14 point stag and his entourage

- birds feeding from my hand

My list is endless.

Leighton Moss is a delight to visit and we shall carry on doing so.

• Hi

We visit regularly and will continue to do so. We have a lot of pleasure visiting Leighton Moss. In fact our visit on Thursday was a delight in a lot of ways. Look at Leighton Moss's Flickr page for some of the photos I took on Thursday:  

www.flickr.com/.../1446774@N22

The point I'm trying to raise, apparently without success, is that the draining of the marsh in front of Lilian's and Grisedale hides has vastly depleted the bird life in front of those hides. We were the only people in Grisedale when we visited and despite a search with binoculars  could only see flowers and distant sheep.

I was  wondering is it worth driving away a lot of  species to encourage just one, namely the Bittern.

I've been lucky enough to see and photograph Bitterns at Leighton Moss on several occasions and hope to do so again in the future.

There's been a lot of disruption at Leighton Moss over the last couple of years with the improvements such as new hides, dredging and  the Sky tower.

Could all this have scared off this shy bird? When things settle down perhaps they will return. There are Bitterns at Blacktoft Sands and Old Moor where, although improvements have been done in the last year or so, things are quiet now and have been for a while.

I would never, ever disparage Leighton Moss and will continue to visit whenever I have time and the weather looks OK.

Just wanted others opinions on the mud rather than pools filled with water and ducks etc.

Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say.

Regards

Alan

• Yes after re-reading I take your point but I do think that if you have a star species then everything should be done to retain it. Conservation and all that!

regards

• Alfoz I wouldn't bother trying to get you point across.

I totally agree with you and understand your point but sadly others here don't and are only to happy to rant and rave incoherently and chew your ear off.

I've been at the end of this before !

Best to keep quiet as you will not get a positive response.

Best wishes on future posts !

Regards Andy.

• Hi Alfoz, I'm glad you enjoyed the view from the top of the tower!

Yes there is a lot of exposed mud at Lilian's at the moment, which in a few weeks time will hopefully be full of waders and water rail, similar to last years draw down.

I am glad you have read the boards on the important work going on to drop the water levels, this will certainly alter the experience in the Interm period until the reed has spread, then the water can be brought back up again. In the meantime as was the case last Autumn, Lilian's will hopefully become a very different spectacle with migrant waders and young water rail benefiting from the shallow areas. In reference to Grisedale, yes this not ideal but is also at the end of the reserve where the current draw down is happening. The bund/bank at Grisedale has eroded away due to deer and regular usage, so the pool is not holding water like Tim Jacksons does, this will give us the opportunity to repair this. The lower hide end of the reserve is still held high, so wildfowl are not moved away. The next few weeks should certainly be exciting with migrants moving through, but in the meantime, I popped up the tower today and had great views of 2 marsh harriers, 34 black tailed godwits a ruff, 32 mallards, 12 gadwall, 8 moorhens and a great white egret. In the last few days I have also been fortunate enough to be watching osprey and garganey.

I hope this helps :)

• Thanks all for the comments.

This my last post on this subject.

I expressed an opinion and and asked for other people's opinions on the question of whether one species  should be prioritised above others. At least, that what I thought I had done. It has been an interesting exercise.

Thanks Kevin for explaining that there is more to the draining than I had previously understood. You clarified the situation nicely.

Thanks to all for taking the time to have your say. Don't worry Richard, I have been known to "rant" on occasion though mostly at politicians!!

I accept there always will be change and that it has to happen, In fact I tried to ask if all the current improvements could have, only temporarily I hope, scared the Bitterns away.

I have read my previous  two posts and at no point can I find any criticism of the staff and volunteers at Leighton Moss. I would not do this and count them among my friends.

We'll be back soon. Maybe we won't bother with Lilian's and Grisedale until the water is back but it's a big and varied reserve. A Great White Egret and a Toad the size of a finger nail proved that on Thursday. Personally I want to be on the top of the Sky Tower as dawn breaks over  a misty marsh. (Dawn is a bit too early at the moment!)

Thanks again one and all for your interest,

Alan