Viewing platform.

Just been following the deer thread & I could not resist mentioning this little gripe of my own ! I've not been to LM for a while and I was looking forward to seeing the new viewing platform. Has anyone else seen it ? Could they have built a more ugly structure ? It looks like a cross between an electric pylon and a security tower without the gun placements. I don't want to go all Prince Charles but its a blot on a very beautiful landscape. I know its due to be painted but could it not be covered in timber or discissed some how ? Any one with any thoughts on this ? Andy
  • My wife and I also went to Leighton Moss this weekend for the first time since last spring.

I was surprised at the construction as it is indeed a "big chunk of metal" and the area around it seems to have been cleared of trees for a few yards (metres for you modern types!) on any side.

HOWEVER... I expect that once the structure is finished, there will be a replanting process to recreate the natural look of the area.

Last year we were on holiday in Norfolk and there was a similar structure on Hickling Broad.  It was actually much taller but was surrounded by woodland and you could hardly make it out from a distance.  You also got truly excellent and unique viewing opportunities from the top of it.  Mind you, I wouldn't care to be on it in a strong wind!

Hopefully it will be well disguised when it is all completed.

:)

• We also were astounded, and somewhat dismayed by the appearance of this huge, unsightly and intrusive structure. We thought that a nature reserve was to ensure that the local wildlife continued to enjoy an undisturbed habitat in which to flourish, not to give a quick-fix view for impatient naturalists.

The wildlife at LM can be difficult to see, that's how they like it.   They inhabit large, inaccessible muddy areas or remote little islands and hide in the thick reed-beds well away from prying eyes.  That is why LM has, up to now, been so successful as a wildlife habitat.  The little critters are accustomed to the odd group of observers wandering around at ground level and disappearing into the undergrowth or the inconspicuous, low level hides around the periphery. I have been coming to Leighton Moss for nearly sixty years - long before it was RSPB - and it has always been the same.   Keep still for a while and something will appear - they assume their watery domain is a safe haven.  

But now we have a different structure - way above reed level from their viewpoint - and an intrusion into their world. We wondered if the construction work had helped to clear the ponds in front of Lillians Hide.   We spent a couple of hours there on Tuesday 20th Jan and were surprised by the lack of residents.   The closest wildfowl were at least 150 yds away.  (We did however find most of them later in the day -  feeding on the mud-flats at Bolton le Sands).

AndrewH is right to ask for it to be timbered - I would hope that the whole structure is to be boxed in and camouflaged, with solid treads on the stairs to both hide the observer and deaden their footsteps as they ascend to the viewing platform.  Impact on the local wildlife, especially the more wary, needs to be eliminated completely otherwise Leighton Moss will lose it's purpose.

We'll be back up in a couple of months and hopefully will be less concerned by the so-called "progress".

• No I don't see the need for this tower either...seems like providing more for humans' benefit rather than nature ...hope they do camouflage it.

• Firstly I don't think this platform is that obtrusive anyway, but more importantly, don't you think that Leighton Moss staff have thought about this?  The new hides, the gardens, everything takes time to bed in, but they've done a great job with all the other work, so why be so insulting suggesting they won't do the same here?  

• Hello. I'm not saying they have not thought about it, and it might with time be concealed with undergrowth but at present it looks awful. Have you seen it in person ?

Im not being insulting just factual.

Even painted green it would not be the most pleasent structure I've ever seen.

I was just hoping for something that would blend in more, and be more complimentary to the surrounding countyside.

My intension was never to be insulting, my self and my wife just thought it did nothing to add to LM at present rather it has a negative effect on the surrounding area.

I hope it does "bed in" with time and become one with the surrounding countryside. I just think a little more thought could have been paid to the aesthetics of the platform.

Andy.

• The question of whether it will bed in or not is questioning the integrity of the LM staff.  That's why I say insulting.  

As for thought, the plans were on display well over a year ago.  Plenty of time to object.

• I have no problem with the integrity of the always polite staff.

Its the platform im criticising not the staff.

Did they even have any imput on its disigin ? I dought it.

Please don't go off the chain of this discussion.

Its about how the platform looks nothing else.

I did notice this comment tonigh on trip advisor.

I dont agree with all the comments just the ones on the platform.

Lol !

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1639813-d2663181-r243695216-RSPB_Leighton_Moss_Nature_Reserve-Silverdale_Lancashire_England.html

• By staff I mean every body involved so of course some of them had input.  I assumed that was obvious because these things don't just come together randomly.  

You are whingeing about the appearance of something that is half finished and I repeat by assuming it will not blend in you are assuming the staff at LM don't know how to do their jobs despite 50 years of evidence that they do.  

• The response from the RSPB to the Trip advisor comment was also constructive.

Only time will tell what sort of impact people feel the platform has looks wise. Im just not keen on it at present.

This does not mean I won't lug my camera gear, flask & butties to the top for a gander when its coplete ! ÷)

• Kevin I don't whinge ! Never have. Never will !

Its a Pylon with steps !