Admissions to Leighton Moss to rise by just under 50% for non members

I'm not at all pleased to find the admission to Leighton Moss is to rise by just under 50% from £5.00-£7.00 for non members from the 1st January 2015. It's a huge rise by any comparison when large numbers of the general public have received no pay rise for a few years. And just to say it wouldn't affect me as I'm a Life Member of the RSPB. I thought Saltholmes rise in admission to that reserve was much fairer last year when it went up from £3.00-£4.00 for the first time since it opened as an RSPB reserve approx 4 years ago.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi Thomo,

Thank you for your comments about the increase in admission charges to Leighton Moss.

From January 1, 2015, new admission fees will be implemented at RSPB Leighton Moss and Morecambe Bay nature reserve, in line with a national review on RSPB charges.

At Leighton Moss, we have added a considerable amount of infrastructure over the last couple of years, including a revamped visitor centre, the replacement of four hides, the creation of a garden area which includes natural play for families, improved self-led trails and the installation of a Skytower.

We haven't increased our entry fees by more than £1 in the last ten years, so as a result of the development of the reserve, we are comfortable that what we are offering is appropriate for the charges. If visitors are to join the RSPB as members, free entry to the reserve is just one of the many benefits included in membership.

Many thanks,

Annabel