Leighton Moss visit 2nd Oct 2014

After all the chat of Bearded Tits at Leighton Moss we thought we may be in luck today but after spending quite a bit of time on the causeway near the grit trays we still had no joy.Chris reckons they do not exist there as in about 40 years visiting she has never seen a beardie at Leighton.even though she has seen them elsewhere. A couple of Great Egrets,cracking views of Little Stints both flying and feeding and a good number of Black Tailed Godwits saved the day.We do not remember seeing such numbers of waders in front of the Lillians hide and I even found a couple of Bar Tailed Godwits and a single Grey Plover among the waders,those black armpits are a bit of a giveaway for them.A visit to the salt marsh hides gave us more Little Stints,Common Redshanks and Dunlin among the waders as well as good numbers of Little Egret arriving (still find these quite exotic despite their growing numbers) and Sparrowhawk,Buzzard and Marsh Harrier. A visit to the cafe was due for Carrot cake and Apple strousel slice before setting off for the 2 hour plus drive back through the sunlit dales,another great day out at a favourite reserve. Spent money in the shop of course and bought the new book celebrating 50 years of the reserve,here's to the next 50 for the young ones to enjoy.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Sounds like a pretty good trip S but commiserate with C for not seeing Beardies!  I have heard them at Stodmarsh but never managed a sighting although many others have!

Please don't tell her that a local birder has reported sighting of 100+ Beardies opposite a PH at Seasalter in Kent on 28th Sep!  Only 15 odd miles from mine, so guess where I'll be at weekend!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Glad you had a good day at Leighton Moss, Pete, and the Bearded Tits at Leighton do exist I have seen them with my own eyes and have pictures but I have never published them because they were on the trays not on the reeds looking natural, I will be calling in myself soon so will have a look, what time was you at the trays?

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:
    what time was you at the trays?

Must admit James by the time our group had assembled it was mid morning,way too late in my opinion but there was quite a lot of hopeful photographers waiting around.Any time spent around the moss and salt marsh is never wasted in my mind such a magical place,well worth 2 hours spent in the car !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I believe they can be seen anytime of the day, Pete, but have heard early morning is best that’s when I saw them, best to get some grit down before some seeds I say :)

I’m an hour and a quarter away but I like to go on the B roads to the M6 and its quicker then just jumping on the M62 here.

It looks like its going to be wet for a few days so might hang on for a while or go

Sunday that looks about the best.

I will hook up the external hard drive and see if I can find any of the pictures I got the last time I saw them.

And like you say your time is never wasted something always pops up at LM.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group