Leighton Moss Thursday 8th May

Despite a singularly unpromising weather forecast I decided to press on with my plan to pay my first visit to Leighton Moss yesterday - and I'm glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. The forecast was for a gloomy start and an increasingly wet day, so forsaking my usual method of birding half the reserve in the morning (and the rest in the afternoon after a break for lunch) I decided to do as much birding as possible in my first session. As it happened I managed to cover the whole reserve by mid afternoon just as the rain started, then had a lovely lunch in the cafe as I watched the rain pour down outside. Made a good call for once!!

Despite the greyness the beauty of the landscape was stunning, not done full justice by this opening shot...

and so to the birds. First thing I saw, down at Morecambe Bay, was a host of Avocets. One pair were proud parents of 3 recently hatched chicks, one of which was just staring to find its feet. Love the blue legs, looks like he/she is wearing wellies!

I also managed a shot of all 3 chicks whilst the parent's attention was distracted. Apologies for the quality of these shots but they were really beyond the range of my lens. Had to include them though!

Moving along I don't know who was more startled when, turning a bend in the path to Tim Jackson hide, I bumped into a Greylag family right there on the path! I just managed to grab a shot of Junior before a parent (presumably Mum) scuttled him off into the reeds...

...leaving Dad contentedly chewing his dandelion head. Whatever turns you on, man...

BHG doing what BHGs love - squawking his head off!

Strolling through the bird garden I encountered this femal pheasant, who'd obviously had enough for the day!

You lookin at me?

Reed Bunting - another pic of dubious quality, my excuse this time being that it was shot through the reedbed!

Sedge Warbler scratching out a song

And finally, for monkeycheese, the ubiquitous Robin - well, two actually.

I was also priveleged to see (too far away to capture) a Marsh Harrier and a Buzzard, the latter being 'mobbed' by a solitary BHG. Are they brave or just plain stupid?

All in all I had a wonderful day despite the weather. I can't speak too highly of the reserve or its staff, all of whom I came into contact with being incredibly friendly and helpful.

Thanks for looking

Ian

• So glad you managed to get to L.Moss again Ian, its a great place to explore and I found out that there is a particular place, not far from main building and on the walk towards Grisedale Hide, before you get to the bench on the corner where the path bends left, where you can get really close to the Marsh Tit, Nuthatch, etc., if you place a few kibbled peanuts and sunflower seeds in one of the log crevices !  One regular visitor takes his fold up chair, sits just a metre away and takes loads of pics of the birds in macro !  and I managed to get some pics of a Marsh Tit, Dunnock, Great Tit and Nuthatch.   I can't wait to go back and take my fold up stool  !!     Such lovely photos Ian, thanks for sharing you lovely day out and nice to see the Avocet have chicks :)    the robin pic is stunning.

Regards, Hazel 

• It's a great location isn't it? The Robins are superb.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• It’s a great place and you did well getting those pictures I hope you can visit again on a nice day there is a lot more to be seen, I will be going again when the weather improves and no doubt a few more times before the year is over.

Might even get a cottage for a week not far away so I can call in every day :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Well done Ian and thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us!

Jan.

• Thanks all for your comments and Hazel for your advice. As a first-timer I stuck to the mapped walkways but I did notice more than one intriguing side tracks which I shall certainly investigate on a future visit.

Regards

Ian

• Have fun exploring next time you return Ian,   I hope to get back there once the weather bucks up a bit.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks so much for sharing your visit with us Ian. Great pics to illustrate the fabulous day you had! Hopefully we will be seeing more of you in the near future.

Just so you are aware, the side tracks that appear to be running off the main walkways are generally red deer routes or our Warden's tracks into the reedbed for monitoring and management purposes, and so are not for public access. The reedbed is incredibly wet just  off the paths and so visitors entering these areas would sink and get lost very quickly. Particularly at this time of year, there are a lot of nesting birds, so it would also disturb them if people stray off the path.

Many thanks

• Thanks Annabel. Don't worry, I'm not one to go "exploring" where I'm not supposed to!

Regards

Ian