Land being sold by Severn Trent Water

I am extremely worried to read in this quarter's Birds magazine, that Severn Trent Water plan to sell the land around Lake Vyrnwy.  This includes the organic farm that the RSPB has been managing. 

I really would like to hear more about it - so if anyone here is in the know, please keep this thread updated as things develop.  I will try to find out more and post here too.

• Hi Pippy,

I looked on the severn trent site, says, they have  400 lot property disposal,

propertyweek.com mentions severn Trent selling off 400 lots but not where, mentions Hall estate agents Shrewsbury, went into their website has lot of land for sale,

Unknown said:

I am extremely worried to read in this quarter's Birds magazine, that Severn Trent Water plan to sell the land around Lake Vyrnwy.  This includes the organic farm that the RSPB has been managing. 

I really would like to hear more about it - so if anyone here is in the know, please keep this thread updated as things develop.  I will try to find out more and post here too.

at present Lake Vyrnwy not mentioned I wonder if they would let you know if you contacted them.Regards Beth

• Briefly, the story is that Severn Trent announced the sale on 5th July this year without giving prior notice to anyone! Four lots are for sale on a 125-year lease - the organic farm, other farm holdings, the forestry and 31 residential properties. The guide price was £11 million. Bids were invited to be submitted by 30th September.

Bids have been received and we are now in a 3-month consultation period, during which the Countryside Council for Wales will give its opinion as to the most suitable. The sale cannot proceed without the approval of the relevant government minister, mainly because the estate is subject to the Water Act, intended to protect Liverpool's supply. Obviously, we all hope that other factors, such as conservation management and the interests of local people, are being taken into account too, and the RSPB has published various position statements which are available elsewhere on the website.

• Thank you for Information

Hope RSPB and  and Countryside for Wales secced in their bid

From beth

• Thank you for the information CatInTheHat.  I cannot believe that Severn Trent gave no notice to anyone!  It's worrying that that is even legal.  Has the RSPB put in bids to buy the lease, or are they hoping that whoever buys will be sympathetic to the cause?

I'm going to hunt down those statements now.  Thanks again!