Trip Report 27/06/2014

While watching the office clock tick slowly to 5 o'clock I suddenly got the birding itch that we all know & love. Where to go, where to go? My local RSPB reserve, Rye Meads, closes at 5 and I'd only been to Amwell NR 2 days previously. I know, Fowlmere! So off I set for the 45 minute drive. My journey north didn't bode well as there were ugly clouds in just about all directions but after weathering a couple of cloud bursts I arrived at a rather soggy but beautifully sunny Fowlmere.

I took a left at reception, heading towards the Spring Hide and was almost instantly rewarded on the boardwalk with a very close view of a juvenile REED WARBLER. He didn't seem at all bothered by my presence but I could hear from behind me that his mum didn't feel the same way so I moved quickly along. A few yards later I encountered a very vocal SONG THRUSH looking very photogenic so took the opportunity to prep my camera. Sadly she immediately became camera shy and left me zooming in on an empty tree. As I crossed the nearby footbridge, I disturbed a small flock of BULLFINCH of which I managed to get one less than stellar shot. You'll just have to take my word for it that this is indeed a bullfinch.

Just around the corner I came face to face with a MOORHEN and her very recently hatched chick. The mum took off into the reeds at first sight of me leaving the little one to fend for itself, I was beginning to understand why she had such a small brood. Before encouraging the little mite to follow it's mother I managed to get a couple of quick snaps.

Nothing of interest to report from the Spring Hide so it wasn't long before before I was making my way to the Reedbed Hide. On the way I got a good look at a BLACKCAP that emerged from a bush in front of me. I also started to pick up on a very distinctive purring noise but more on that later. So I arrived at the Reedbed Hide where all was quiet, the usual collection of ducks and the occasional reed warbler and REED BUNTING making appearances. The LAPWING chick held my attention for a few minutes before a SWALLOW arrived. While trying, and failing, to photograph the swallows I caught sight of a flash of blue that could mean only one thing, KINGFISHER. 

Disappointingly he headed off to the far fence post but before long made his way to the closer branch allowing me to get some half decent shots considering the failing light as cloud cover was rolling in.

He eventually decided he was quite preened enough and departed which I took as my cue to move on. Leaving the hide and getting back on the main trail I took a cursory glance at the nestbox expecting it to be empty having heard the occupants had already fledged. But lo-and-behold the entrance was chock full of very sleepy looking BARN OWLS. 

Now, remember the distinctive purring noise I heard earlier? Well it had been getting progressively louder ever since and finally came into view at the top of a distant tree. That's right, a TURTLE DOVE. I've seen them before at their "stronghold" at RSPB Otmoor but it's great to see them so much closer to home. Here's hoping that they can make a comeback in the near future.

The journey back to the car park proved mostly uneventful, I caught a few glimpses of the kingfisher fishing along the stream but he was always one step ahead of me. I did manage to catch up with a more obliging song thrush that allowed me a couple of photos before taking off.

Thanks to the team at RSPB Fowlmere for maintaining such a lovely oasis and allowing me to spend a few hours in birding heaven, I can't recommend this reserve highly enough.