A Late december stroll around the reserve

A nice quiet stroll in Fowlmere yesterday (Dec 28th) for a couple of hours before the holiday mayhem of push chairs arrived and it was time to call it a day :)

Highlights were the bullfinches, a brimstone butterfly fluttering around the Drewer Hide, a small flock of redwings high up in the trees, a buzzard and a scattering of long tailed tits and other small bird flocks, and a fleeting view of a Cettis warbler along the board walk

• Thanks for sharing this, Denise. I've been to Fowlmere a couple of times over the Xmas break and seen the bullfinches on both occasions. That was a treat for me as I haven't seen them since I was a child! I also saw some long-tailed tits and a kingfisher. Also saw the leucistic water rail a few weeks ago. Fowlmere is such a delightful and special place!

• Yes, thanks Denise. The reserve can seem quiet at the moment, but patience is usually rewarded. In addition to your sightings, there has been a flock of c50 fieldfares on the west side of the reserve, and someone reported c20 siskins in the alders near Spring Hide on 29th.

I am surprised not to see many small birds such as tits and finches on the reserve this winter. I wonder if they have moved into local gardens for the time being. There is a mixed flock of c50 chaffinches and greenfinches in the garden near the reserve office, plus several blackbirds, and corn buntings have been feeding by the grain store.