Fowlmere info

Doug - tried to email you but could not get your address from the Yahoo Cambirds email group. We visited Fowlmere today - have done so many times over the years and actually helped to build the Reedbed Hide back in the 80s/90s with Bob and Ann Scott. Two enquiries. First, is the substantial tunnelling/ground damage at the far SW of the reserve (was there once a hide there?) caused by badgers? Secondly the notice near the Barn Owl nestbox says that they did not breed this year. Am I wrong in thinking that the two we saw in the box were in fact nestlings/juveniles? Best wishes, Pete and Anna Cook
  • Dear Pete & Anna,

Thanks for your post. For no apparent reason all the Yahoo groups to which I've subscribed have stopped sending and receiving emails to/from me!

Badger numbers have increased in recent years, and what you have seen has probably been their work.

While I was away last week, someone let me know that chicks have been seen in the barn owl box. So, yes, they have bred this year! We are surprised, because the nest was checked on 18th July and we found the first moulted feathers. They don't usually start breeding after they have started moulting. I saw two large but still downy chicks today.