Birds and moths

I spent a couple of hours at Fowlmere today (and it was hot!) and was rewarded with this splendid Red Underwing moth (Catacala nupta).  Sadly it didn't keep it's forewings spread long enough for me to photograph the hindwings, but I saw it flying and was able to check it out when I got home.  It was about 35mm long, I'd guess.   The pattern on the forewing matches the illustration in my moths guide, and the hind wings flashed red, black and white when it flew.

I've been lucky with moths at Fowlmere recently, as I photographed an Eyed Hawk Moth a few weeks ago.  I only had my (not smart at all!) phone with me, so the quality is not great.

There were also quite a few birds about, including an adult swan with five signets, hauled up on the path by the Shep, making it interesting getting past.  Managed it without disturbing them too much.

At Reedbed Hide I saw the little grebe, now sadly down to a single juvenile, a common tern showing off its hunting skills, 32 lapwing, including several juveniles, and a juvenile (probably) common gull, something that's apparently very unusual at Fowlmere.

I took lots of photographs, but the zoom on my camera isn't that powerful, so I'm still not completely convinced it really was a common gull. 

On the other hand, there has been a common gull there over the past week or so, so it's not impossible.