Spotting scope advise

After a couple of recent visits to Old Moor Nature Reserve to which I really enjoyed I am now looking at purchasing a spotting scope. On looking on the internet there is so many available could anyone give me any advise as to which brand would be suitable and what magnification would be best. At the moment I am using my Nikon binoculars 8 x 40 and think a spotting scope give me better viewing options Thanks Dave
  • Hi-  see my posts on buying a scope on here-

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2060/p/9789/70108.aspx#70108

As a first scope a used Kowa TS-612  or TS 612 ( ebay often have them)  is great at around £200  and is probably better than a new model of an inferior make. The new lenses fit them and are way better than the old ones-

:)

S

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• www.rspb.org.uk/.../388543.aspx

See that for more options

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• TRIPODS-

DON'T skimp on it- choose a good make- your scope is only as good as the legs it's on-

www.rspb.org.uk/.../74171.aspx

Mannfrotto are STILL my personal fave after almost 30 years using them

The 128 RC ( old but brilliant)  is my personal favourite head- they last about 15 years!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2060/p/26182/922516.aspx#922516 -  top of the range lightweight scope

S

• www.rspb.org.uk/.../630244.aspx

Used scope set up-

S

• Hi David

tricky issue this - there is lots of advice out there and lots of opinions.

At the end of the day, my main advice is to go for a scope that suits you (and your budget) and don't buy a scope unless you have looked through it and tried it out.

Different people see things differently. So for some, a scope can give a warm yellow cast and for others, it can give a colder bluer cast.

My advice would be:

Go for the very best you can afford. You won't regret it in the long run. You won't buy a scope very often (maybe just once).

As stated above, get a good solid tripod. No point in buying a good scope and wasting the clarity of the optics on a wobbly tripod.

Try before you buy and go to a good reputable seller for good advice. I am bound to say that there is the shop at Old Moor but there are also places such as In Focus at Denby Dale, Harrison Cameras in Sheffield, London Camera Exchange etc etc. Lots of good places that will talk you through the process and let you view the products. And be nice - if you have had good advice, buy from them.

You want a scope that suits you in terms of weight and size.

You want to look through it and need to check the image is bright and crisp and suits your eyesight. Is the image clear all the way to edge of the view? Does the scope focus between near and far quickly and precisely?

Think about fixed eye piece versus zoom eye piece. One will give a good field of view and good light gathering but the zoom will give greater flexibility.

Think about the features that are important to you. For example, a better scope will probably be waterproof and won't 'fog' internally.

Ask lots of questions. Most of the people who sell scopes are more than happy to chat.

If you do want to come to Old Moor, let us know and we can arrange a date and time for you to come in and set up a session for you to try as many as you like.

Hope that helps - and good luck. I think every birder can remember the day they got their first scope as a seminal moment in their birding career.

Regards

Matthew

• Hi-

I think a rough idea of the budget range being considered would help a lot

:)

S