Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Frog deaths

I cried last week when clearing out what's left of my pond. Twelve frogs floated to the surface, obviously caught in the frozen water. Whilst glorying in the fieldfare spectacular, I had forgotten about these poor animals.

Our pond sprung a leak last year, so we emptied it. Unfortunately the rain had filled it again, but not to a depth that could cope with the freeze. We are now trying to redo it before the breeding season.

• What a shame, Linda. I'm so sorry about your frogs. It just goes to show it isn't just birds who suffer in the cold. I hope you manage to finish the pond and attract some more.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Linda, how upsetting for you. All creatures must have suffered in such prolonged cold weather. Did all your fish survive?

• HI Linda, I was so sorry to read your post but you are not alone. This has been such a hard winter and what with advice to make a hole in the ice and then don't make a hole in the ice I think there have been a great number of losses. Even wildlife reserves are experiencing large numbers of frog deaths. I just hope there isn't too profound an effect, long-term, as obviously if there are fewer numbers of frogs this year then the wildlife that preys on them and also the wildlife on which frogs prey could be affected.  

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• The heron took all our fish long ago. In past years I have always been careful to protect the pond (melting a hole with a hot bottle), but we couldn't SEE the pond this winter! It helps to know others have had the same problem. I feel a little less like a murderer!

• Squirrel B said:

HI Linda, I was so sorry to read your post but you are not alone. This has been such a hard winter and what with advice to make a hole in the ice and then don't make a hole in the ice I think there have been a great number of losses. Even wildlife reserves are experiencing large numbers of frog deaths. I just hope there isn't too profound an effect, long-term, as obviously if there are fewer numbers of frogs this year then the wildlife that preys on them and also the wildlife on which frogs prey could be affected.  

While some frogs hibernate in water, many others will be safely tucked away somewhere on land so I wouldn't be too concerned about the frogs.  While mortality is probably high in aquatic hibernation sites those on land would have been safer - perhaps it is a natural cost-benefit thing, those in ponds can possibly get a head start when it comes to breeding as they don't have to travel but face more risks in a hard winter.  Might mean that frogspawn doesn't appear until slightly later than normal though if most of the breeding frogs have to travel to their breeding ponds.

• i found one dead one just outside the pond it was freezeing at the time

havent seen any live frogs but the weather is just not warm enough the waters very cold too

i have had frog spawn by now other years but not this year

the waters cloudy so i would think theres frogs at the botom moveing around

others years i have even had adult newts in the ponds but very few

its iced over rather alot this winter too

the ice melts at the edges so i dont think anythink got drowned

the friedly bid watcher

• Unfortunately, the freezing conditions do tend to take their toll on hibernating frogs. Many will hibernate underwater. They can breath through their skin, so can stay submerged for long periods as long as there is oxygen in the water. When ponds freeze for long periods, the frozen conditions prevent more oxygen being absorbed into the water to replace what's been used up. Harmful gases are also trapped beneath the ice. These frogs then die of anoxia and will float to the surface when the ponds thaw.

This is a natural occurrence and does not normally impact on frog populations as a whole. However, it can be distressing to see and there are steps you can take to allow oxygen into the pond. Placing a ball or something else that floats in the pond before it freezes over and then removing it once frozen will leave a hole that allows oxygen and other gases to enter and escape. Placing a bowl of hot water on an already frozen pond will also create a hole. It is best not to smash the ice as this can damage pond lining.

Frog deaths in the summer are more likely to be due to disease. The Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (ARC) Trust have some useful advice on frog mortality here

• i had my usual number of frogs breeding at lest 40ty in two ponds but i found about 20ty dead outside killed probly by a fox these frogs were male and female that happened last year and they were all female very sad as they where breeding females some very large

after i found the dead frogs this year i had to do some thing so i spread black peper all around the ponds

no more dead frogs and it rain so alot of the peppe got washed away but what ever its was lklearnt its lesson and have kept awayy

the friedly bid watcher

• The heron has moved to the frogs. After an influx of around twenty frogs, and making the new pond, it seems we made it easier for the heron. We were down to the last frog (that we could see) until a visit yesterday. We are now hoping that the new liner was tough enough, or the heron clever enough, not to have a hole from the beak. We do have lots of spawn this year, and the new plants are starting into growth, so the tadpoles should be safe.

• Hi all- you may find this page helpful for some ideas on how to save your frogs from the heron - http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/heronsandponds/index.asp

Help swifts by letting us know what they're up to - fill in the 2010 survey