Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

boggy ground to pond?

My large garden is on a gentle slope so all the run off from the hills behind my house gathers at the bottom. It stays wet throughout the year, from a bit squidgy to ankle deep depending on rainfall. One side is edged by huge rhododendrons and a few mature fruit bushes, the second by piles of prunings, compost heap and flowering perrenials (a bit messy) the third by large flowering shrubs, a fallen conifer, a hawthorn tree and more old fruit bushes and the fourth is a mix of rhubarb, various unknown bushes etc. Three sides are surrounded by a stone dyke. There is also a large free standing conifer and in the middle is a quite big 'rock garden' with rampant willow.

Overall this part of the garden gets a lot of light and is about the size of a tennis court.

So - I would like to create a pond or bog garden or both - on a shoe string budget and am wondering how to go about it. I can't introduce a water supply and would have to rely mainly on run off. Would this work or would any drought periods be a problem? (not happened in the 2 years I've been here)

I have a kind of crazy idea about channeling the water into a sort of moat around the rock garden - any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome!