Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Concrete haunches!

I wish I had found this forum sooner, I would have designed my pond better. I'm  not sure if anybody will be able to answer this, or even understand what I'm trying to ask but I'll give it a go, because I'm completely stumped now.

I have a large round pond with bog gardens at each side.  Think eye, or hard boiled egg cut in half (the yellow is pond, the white bog gardens). 

I have left a soil and wall between pond and bog, to stop nutrient rich water from the bog going into the pond.   The trouble is the wall is going to look ugly covered in liner, but if I make it any thinner it will collapse.  In my pond construction book, it appears it needs to be supported by a traingular (wide at base, narrrowing to the top) concrete haunch to support the wall.  I think the liner than goes over this.

How do I make this concrete support?  Failing that how do I explain this to a builder?  Will they be able to make it perfectly level?  Will they just look at me like I've lost my marbles?