Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Frogspawn

As usual we have an enormous amount of frogspawn, but we desperately need to aeriate the pond and do a bit of maintenance. We cannot put the pump on however, as it draws in the frogspawn and any hatching tadpoles into the pump.  I have a feeling that it is illegal to transfer frogspawn to another pond or pool - am I right, or can I do this? Any advice would be very welcome.

• Hi Pat, thanks for asking the question, i'll be moving it shortly to our forum on water features where some other pond enthusiasts might find it and be able to contribute some comments.

First of all though, check out the advice from Pond Conservation and the ARC Trust, they should have some useful tips. My only thought if you are trying to use a pump/filter and are having problems with drawing in the spawn would be to secure the spawn with a make shift boom, maybe a piece of fine mesh or gauze secured across the pond or around the spawn. However I would recommend waiting to do any maintence and aeration until you are sure the frogs have finished with the spawning, you wouln't want to spoil their romantic activities would you now!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• thanks for that advice. We'll see what we can do.