Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Space round a pond

I've just moved house and I have room to put in a proper pond rather than the little tub one I had at my old house.

I want to dig out a bit of lawn beside my raised patio where there is a concaved edge so is will finish up with an 'eye' shaped pond (more or less)

The patio is probably in the region of 8 inches above the lawn level, is it best to place the pond right up to the edge of the patio of to leave a space or maybe  6-8 inches in between?

I was intending to have the sloped 'access/ exit' side on the lawn side.

Does anyone have any advice to offer regarding what would be best for the wildlife or whether there would be issues with the patio foundation? (I have no idea what's under there but I gather it was professionally laid rather than a DIY job)

Thanks

• Hello ffroglet, one thread to look at is this Frog prince did a fab job with detailing his construction of a pond and it is well worth reading.

www.rspb.org.uk/.../4221.aspx

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• That's interesting,  and having looked at it I suppose I will need an edge all the way round to secure the pond liner. Useful - thank you

• Hello ffroglet

A few years ago I created a pond in my garden right up to the patio, so I thought it might be worth showing you what I did. It isn't a huge pond, but it supports a large number of frogs, toads, newts and so on. I think you are right to consider having sloping sides going down to the pond which acts as a safe drinking area. My birds love the part of the pond beside the patio best, but because the water level is about a foot deep there, I have filled it up with large pebbles and overflowed them onto the patio, which looks really nice. I have several bog areas around the pond too which supports not only bog plants, but loads of insects and there are dozens of dragon flies and damsel flies to be seen in the summer. Make sure there is at least one place where you can stand close to the water using paving or bricks or similar, it could be frustrating creating a wildlife heaven and then not being able to view it up close. One word of caution, having the pond near to the house brings flies nearer the house and when the baby frogs start walking about you can't afford to walk on the patio at night without a torch, otherwise there will be a few squashed babies as a result! Hope that helps.

Here is a shot of it last summer fully planted.

I have loads of photos of it being built, so if you need any other 'work in progress' shots, let me know.

bye for now

• Thanks Tulip. Wow that is a fabulous pond (I also love your giant mushroom is it a birdbath?) I know a pond needs to have  deep bit, how deep does this need to be?

• Thanks ffroglet. Yes the mushroom is a birdbath, but the birds don't like it! I loved it when I bought it years ago and it can be used as a waterfall too with a pipe going up the centre (possibly a new project one day). As the birds don't use it for drinking or bathing, I use it for placing trays of food in which the magpies polish off very quickly!

With regard to depth of water, to keep wildlife safe from ice, I dig to at least a metre, more if the pond is large enough. In my last house where I had a huge pond, the depth at it's greatest was just over 6 ft. You need to try for several different depths if you can. Like shelves or steps going down to the deepest part. That way you can incorporate all sorts of different plants and if you plant in baskets, the baskets will sit on the shelves. I prefer to plant in sacking. I make sure it is very holey, fill it with poor soil (you don't want too much rich soil in your pond), place the plants in and then loosely tie at the neck with string. Then lower very very slowly into place. In time the sacking rots as does the string, but by then the plant has established itself. And you haven't had to go through the awful stage where the water is really clear and the black plastic pots can be seen a mile away.

You did originally ask about the patio foundation and whether it is a good idea to put the pond so close. If your liner is doling a good job, the water shouldn't effect the foundations of the patio. Use a huge amount of sand under the liner to make sure nothing punctures it.

bye for now

• Thank you for the advice, that's really helpful. I will be turning the info over in my mind while I finish the main house decorating and then at least when I put spade to soil I shall have some idea of what my aim is.

And now I want a giant mushroom too :o)