Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Wildlife

Hi everyone,  I created a wildlife pond in my garden 2 weeks ago, with rocks in the bottom and pebbles and I put allsorts of plants in, made a slope so tiny creatures can get in and out and the birds can drink from it as well as using the bird bath,  within about 10 minutes of it being finished low and behold I had a frog jump in, I was thrilled to bits I swear it was watching what was going on.  Here's hoping I have loads of frog spawn next year, I can't wait.

• I too have a new garden and built a pond as soon as the chance came. Lots of insect life and frogs already - still waiting for the ecosystem to get balanced though - the water remains a murky green. Also hoping for my first frog spawn in the spring.

• Hi GeoDave, mines not a new garden been here 35 years decided it was time to make it more wildlife friendly after watching spring and autum watch l was shocked at the amount of wildlife dying out so decided to do my bit to preserve them.  My pond is clear as a bell but haven't seen any insect life yet have 2 frogs now but can't see them today.  I was wondering if I should put a little pump in pond and keep it running in winter to stop my pond from freezing up any suggestions would be welcome. I would have to put electricity in garden and run a lead about 50ft to pond unless there are other pumps that don't use electricity. Suggestions please anyone.

• I have a small solar powered pump in mine which works a treat. Works fine even on dull days. We moved in 18 months ago and it was just a green rectangle as the previous owners had small children and no interest in plants or wildlife. We have dug out large borders and the perennials have done amazingly well in just one season - attracted lots of hoverflies, bees, moths, butterflies, etc. The new trees and shrubs are going to take a little longer. I have put in lots of berry-type shrubs that will hopefully attract birds and other wildlife in a year or two. I have left an 18 inch (50 cms) rough area around the pond and let that grow wild - interesting what a selection of plants have grown in such a small area. I haven't got a large enough garden to have a real wild area.

• Hi Meesha, welcome to the forums!

GeoDave's suggestion of a solar pump is a cracking idea, definitely one to consider. However, at this time of year many of the pond creatures that you are seeing are looking for somewhere to spend the winter months, especially frogs. My advice would be to create some log and leaf piles or even a hibernaculum. These are ideally situated in quiet corners of the garden as well as close to the pond in case the frogs or any toads that may be around decide that your garden is the place to be this winter.

Have a look at our advice pages here to get some ideas about providing winter homes for amphibians. If you are looking to get some more aquatic vegetation into your pond to help encourage insects and to provide cover for amphibians, have a look here for some suggestions about suitable plants.

We would love to see some pictures of your new wildlife pond, if it's not too much trouble keep us updated on the comings and goings! Fingers crossed the froggy new visitors will be impressed with the new pond and you will have spawn come springtime!!!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Well done Meesha sounds like you've now joined the rest of us trying to do our bit for wildlife!

I can't offer much more advice as there is plenty above, however I would say that if you want to encourage more wild life to your pond think about the bigger picture and the pond surroundings....

Landscaping the areas around the edge of and leading to your pond with log piles, overgrown areas, wild flower lawns etc will give all manner of critters (large and small) a nice easy corridor and safe access to your pond and the rest of your garden. It's amazing how a few small changes linked to each other can have such a dramatic effect on visitors and residents in your garden!

I have used logs and old branches to create wildlife friendly features in my garden which in time should link in with the rest of the garden and encourage even more wild life. Like Dave I have only been in 18months but was astounded at the increase in bees, butterflies, toads and other wild life that I had in the garden this summer when others were saying what a bad year it was!!!

If you click through to my blog below and search through the archived posts you may find a few 'wildlife area' ideas which might be of interest...