Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

GREYWAGTAILS

We have been in our present house since last November and have a small brook at the bottom of the garden - our last project for this season was to remove all the rubbish and wire away from the area (everyones dumping ground for the last 20 years I think) open up the banks by cutting back hedges and shrubbery and incorporate our bit of the brook into one of our feeding stations - the birds have all been using it for drinking and bathing and this morning we had our greatest reward yet two Grey Wagtails visited us feeding on the ground and then popping down to the stream and back up to garden - they looked beautiful in their bright yellow and grey plumage - a very nice reward for our hard work.  We have two ponds within the garden but wanted to use this natural resource to full advantage and hope this is a good start.  I am now wondering what I could do with the banks or should I just let them go wild?

• Hi Lucy

I can see where you are coming from here. If the Grey Wagtails have taken the place as their territory you will need to be consistant with the birds needs (as a bird lover that is understandable as we want the best of all our birds.)

You mentioned that you have cleared out all of the rubbish,  So why not replant the areas with 'dense' wild flowering plants so the areas devoid of any growth become re-established once more. I think plants that are benefical to butterflies and insects will add depth and colour to the area also. Simply make it a wildlife haven to benefit all types of wildlife.

Maybe it is not the best time of year for plant growth at all.  See what others think on this thread.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

lucybob said:

We have been in our present house since last November and have a small brook at the bottom of the garden - our last project for this season was to remove all the rubbish and wire away from the area (everyones dumping ground for the last 20 years I think) open up the banks by cutting back hedges and shrubbery and incorporate our bit of the brook into one of our feeding stations - the birds have all been using it for drinking and bathing and this morning we had our greatest reward yet two Grey Wagtails visited us feeding on the ground and then popping down to the stream and back up to garden - they looked beautiful in their bright yellow and grey plumage - a very nice reward for our hard work.  We have two ponds within the garden but wanted to use this natural resource to full advantage and hope this is a good start.  I am now wondering what I could do with the banks or should I just let them go wild?

• Hi Lucy,

I agree with Blackbird and would look towards planting the area for wildlife.

The Grey Wagtail does like flowing water and likes to perch on midstream boulders. They also like watercress beds so maybe if you could incorporate these into your plans it would be of benefit.

Graham.

Be Inspired,

Dream it, Crave it, Work for it, Live it.

• Hi Blackbird and Nestbox - we have been down the garden to inspect the area again!  As you say not best time of year to plant up but I shall see what I can find - the watercress sounds a great idea - the brook is narrow but fast flowing with little rapids and pools and lots of stones for the birds to climb over also the shallows and pools are full of whirly insects they seem to go round in circles!  I am off to put pen to paper and see where I end up!

• Hi Lucybob,

I am sure that after you have put pen to paper and given it some thought it will all come together.

Maybe you could post some photo's showing us the progress.

Graham

Be Inspired,

Dream it, Crave it, Work for it, Live it.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/09/2009 02:54 in reply to lucybob

Hi Lucy

Let us know what you decide to do as I fro one would be interested in knowing.

We had Grey Wagtails living close to us at one of our rentals and they are jsut the beautiful birds.

There was a stream nearby where we stayed, and the Grey Wagtails must have doted on that waterway a lot.

Anyway let us know {smiles}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Sounds fantastic Lucy!! Please keep us updated and also post some pics!! Would love to see it! :-)

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• I have been paddling this afternoon and think I have found water mint - I was looking for watercress but never mind I shall have to plant that myself - have attached a photo which I'm sure is watermint - it is actually growing in the brook along the edge

The next picture shows a little bit of the brook plus some of the rubbish still waiting to be got rid of!  There is still a lot of clearing to do but I have found several plants and ferns worth keeping and when cleared back there is an awful lot more space than you think to have a go at - the chiffchaff has been singing  while I've been down there - he seems to have his spot in the thicket on the right.

• Certainly looks like watermint! Lovely! Bees etc... love it!

Thanks for the photos, it looks wonderful! Would love something like that at the bottom of my garden. Good on you for cleaning it up and making it cleaner! I'm sure your efforts will be well rewarded!! Looking forward to hearing about it's progress!!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Rockwolf said:

Would love something like that at the bottom of my garden.

Me too. I've got the PO sorting office (which really doesn't answer quite why my postal delivery is always so late).

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!