Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating a Barrel Pond

I would love to have a garden pond, but don't have time at the moment, because of other garden projects, to do all the digging and preparation.  And so a barrel pond is on the agenda with a view to attracting amphibians and insects. 

I was in a local garden centre last week and spied a pile of barrels which were on offer at 1/2 price.  On enquiry, it turned out that they were actually wooden ornamental planters but I thought I would give one a go - if it proves unsuitable I'll start again.  Pond lining is on order from the internet as the construction of the barrel looks unsuitable for making watertight by soaking.

Any advice on planting would be welcome - I was considering miniature water lilies, iris and a native oxygenator.

More pics to follow as things progress.

Edit = pic not loading!

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Well, I didn't plant up the barrel last autumn as some of the plants I chose were not available from online suppliers due to end of season non availability.

Raring to get on with it now - and nearly bought a mini collection this morning - but not sure if it is too early in the year for planting. Any advice on when to plant up would be appreciated.

• You've inspired me to get one now!  I've got a wildlife pond but would love some fish too.  Would they be ok in an unlined but watertight barrel?  

I might pop to my local water garden this afternoon and if I get chance I'll get some advice off them about planting up.

I'm not bald. I've just got ingrowing hair!

• Hi Claire, I've just looked on the RSPB's leaflet "Creating Ponds for Wildlife" which I down-loaded some time ago as I have similar ambitions to yours, and it advises planting in winter. This however is for a dug-out pond, and I'm not sure if the same applies for an above-ground pond, it also says for native plants, - not sure what yours are. I also see you're in Aberdeen, whether that would have a bearing on the matter, in terms of severe weather and freezing the water, I don't know.

Not much help I'm afraid. Hopefully a pond expert will give an opinion.

Best of luck anyway, I shall be interested to see how your project develops!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Stoat,

I think unlined barrels are possible but need to be soaked for a period and the water changed at intervals before planting/stocking with fish. If you search, there are some forums giving good advice re fish and barrel ponds.

I was hoping for amphibian spawn and with reports of frogs laying already, am anxious not to miss the season.

• Rach,

Thanks for the heads up re the RSPB leaflet. I'll try to find it and have a read. I was concerned re the pond freezing after planting, but I suppose even dug out ponds will freeze over in normal UK winter weather conditions. However, good to know winter is advised for planting.

I do intend to plant natives, except for a miniature water lily which may require a bit more TLC, but I suppose that plant could be kept indoors in a bucket until the danger of freezing has passed.

• Hi Claire, it seems the leaflet can be found under www.rspb.org.uk/hfw/advice/14

Glad to hear you're using native plants.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• I opted for a black plastic tub eventually, mainly because its a bit bigger but for the same price.  The people at the water gardens said now is a good time for planting as you will then get the full growing season.

I'm off to get some plants today.

• OK, Stoat, I'm going to order some plants today.

Look forward to hearing how your project progresses.

• I'll look forward to some more photos of yours too as it progresses

• At the moment I am planting up the pond but have noticed several bright red worm like creatures emerging from the mud in which the plants were pre-potted from the nursery.

Does anyone know if these are harmless and to be expected in a pond?

Thanks

Claire