Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

First frog

And I'm very excited.

I created my new pond a few months ago from the deep bottom half of a cat litter tray that I was going to throw away. I sadly don't have room for anything larger.

I have sunk it into the garden and it contains some plants in pots, a floating frogbit plant, a large rock for things to climb out on and a small solar aerator. This doesnt actually leave much room for wildlife but I was disappointed that so far I had only mozzy larvae and rat-tailed maggots in there.

At the weekend a large green female common frog arrived to take up residence and is still there. I and very, very excited by this (and I do have a life, honest :-))but presumable she will go elsewhere for the winter.

• Hello and welcome hoodooman. Congratulations on the success of your pond and well done on your initiative on doing all the work  in creating it initially. 

• May 9th, spotted a newt patrolling the shallow water around one of the submerged logs. Just finished my dance of delight :o)

In 3 weeks I get my new camera; I'll try to curb my enthusiasm.

H.

• Some Ivy-leaved has spontaneously turned up in my pond. I have n idea how it got there. Fortunately it's quite pretty not too invasive so I don't have to pick it out.

Is it likely that when I don't know where my frog is, she's gone off to another pond somewhere and then accidentally brings stuff back with her? Although I don't know of any other ponds nearby.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 09/07/2010 15:52 in reply to ffroglet

Hi Ffroglet,

That's how our pond started off! I had put a bowl of water in the garden and was so excited to see a frog swimming in it so we had to build a pond then. Now we have lots of frogs as the neighbour brings her frogs here too! It is amazing how quickly they can find the water!

• I wonder how far frogs travel on their own around gardens looking for water?

• Hi Ffroglet

I've been trying to work out how to get a pond into my very small garden but you have given me an idea that may well work!!!! :-D Thank you!

I love your photo's especially the frog spawn with a million reflections.

Looking forward to hearing more about your pond and little residents ..................

..............and a very warm welcome Hoodooman. I hope you enjoy your time on the forum. Your pond and allotment sound brilliant. We really love photo's and lots of updates. The more the better :O)

Eilid

"out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field. I will meet you there"   Rumi

• Thanks Eilid, glad to have been of some help :-)

• Hi all, *wave* to Eilid, So it's July, and I still have tadpoles swimming around, so I can't clear out as much blanket weed as I'd like.

I had 5 lots of spawn, so working on a minimal estimate, I think there must be about 5,000 froglets around here somewhere. That allows for the raiding crows, etc. I was more concerned that the crows would land clumsily and puncture the pond liner, but all seems fine.

Only saw one newt, just the once, but more plants are in now so maybe I'll see some newtlets ??  next year.

My main whinge is the evaporation. I know, it's summer, but a shallow pond really really turns to steam quickly!

I top up most days with watering cans, and if it gets really bad my neighbour on the allotments gets his waterpump out and fills up straight from the brook alongside. (think that's where most of the frogs have gone).

There was a comment about female frogs wandering earlier, and my twopennorth, if not already posted, is that the males stay home for winter and the ladies go gallivanting for better mates next year. Ummm....if only 50 of my 5,000 froggies survive (no fish in this pond!) then 25 males are going to be waiting for next March....watch out lady frogs ;o)

Ok, time to go back next to my fan, too hot, too hot.....

Hoodooman.