Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pond Gravel

Hi all, can I use natural 10mm gravel to top my baskets in my pond, I know this may contain lime and will kill fish but I am aiming for a wildlife pond, does the lime harm plants or wildlife? Dobbies sell 5kg bag of dorset gravel for 5 pound odds and b+q sell natural gravel, big bag for 2 pound odds. I also work in an aggregate recycling yard where materials come in and go through screeners, all matter of material gets recycled, sand, soil, gravel. I tried this but the size is very inconsistant. Any ideas please!

• Hi Wilbur,

The text book answer would be no and I would say if you aren't absolutely sure what's in the gravel then it's probably best to steer clear....

I have however used all sorts of stones in an around ponds but will generally only use them if they are old and weathered which I feel over a long period of time washes out a lot of the impurities. As I said before this is only from my experiences so to play safe might be the best option.

If you shop around you should be able to find gravel made from other rock types? The other thing I tend to use is seaside (bought) pebbles but once again I wash them through several times leave them to soak in fresh water and then hose them off again to ensure that all the salt is washed off before using them in the pond.

If you have gravel in mind from Dobies + B&Q why not email them and actually ask where the gravel is sourced from and what material type it is?......I do however think you can get it cheaper than this??

From a quick Google search I found this site which state 'Pond safe aggregates' I don't know this company but might be a good starting point for some research?

http://www.gardensite.co.uk/Pond_Safe_Aggregates/

Hope this helps