Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Heron visit

Woke this morning to find water levels down and a loss of fish, dont know if fish are still their no sign.  How do i deter the heron in future from the pond thanks craig

• Electric fence. I kept losing fish a few years back. The Herons emptied my pond. I went to World of Water and they said the only ponds on their premisies with fish were the ones with electric fence. That was three years ago. Works a treat. W of W does not always stock them but here is a guide. Google Velda

http://www.swelluk.com/pond/heron-deterrents-1467/heron-scarers-1468/velda-pond-protecter-kit-electric-7006.html

Mine cost about £80 and while expensive it is worth it.

Don't flap, don't panic. Jump.

• Or how about turning it into a wildlife-friendly pond and let wildlife take over it :)

'Dip a dee dah, dip a dee ay, we're not seeing any birds to-day...'

• Just purchased a velda fence for 70 quid will also keep them cats away thanks Craig

• I've tried a thing called Netfloat.  It is circular rings of plastic mats that you cut to fit.  They float on the top of the pond and plants can grow through them.  I never lost any more fish once I put them in the pond.