Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Tiny City Pond Help

Hi all, so I've decided to try and fit a pond in to my small city garden and I'm looking for opinions about how small it really can be.

We don't have a big space and we've already got wildflower patches, a bedding area with seasonal flowers, bushes, log pile, a tree, a shed and we have a dog who needs to play on some grass.

This all doesn't leave us with much room and the only place we can squeeze a watery patch in is down next to the fence, near the shed and tree, not ideal, but its the only space left.

So I measured it out and it will be about 190 cm long (give or take) and only 70cm at its widest. From what I've read I need to make sure it is deeper than 90cm to avoid freezing completely. Does this small size sound even feasible?

We're not putting any fish in, its solely for attracting insects and if any frogs do happen to be on a city break.

• Well happily I am not really in much pain anymore and aside from an anti-inflamatory pill at night I am now not taking any painkillers at all. I had an operation to put pins and plates in on 24th August and I'm already walking around and am back to dressing myself and such again, its a pretty surprisingly speedy recovery really. I won't be doing any gymnastics or yoga for a while, but I should be back to normal within a few months, I'm just a bit stiff and slow for now.

Foolishly I did it skydiving, but I have learnt my lesson and my days of dangerous sports are over. Nothing like the fear of paralysis to give you a reality check. The thought of never being able to go hiking and just enjoy the wild places and animals I love was quite enough to put the need for high adrenalin in its place.

Here's our mini pond about 8 weeks after it was built, I love it, it already looks sort of  wild and ''natural' and like my back I'm amazed at how quick it has reached this state.

• Firstly, your pond is looking fantasic. You must be so pleased with it.

You broke your back Skydiving? Ouch. I'm glad you're on the mend and have come to your senses!  Take care

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Hi Thomas... your pond looks wonderful. As you say, it's amazing how quickly it has developed but what a reward for you to see it flourishing so quickly. It is really good to read that you are slowly getting better now - it must have been absolutely terrifying for you.

Squirrel

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Yes the skydiving was not one of my greatest ideas I've persisted with... It was something I did many years ago and always promised myself to get back to it and train for a full skydiving licence. As the years passed I found I was less keen, but thought that was just age-related nerves, in hindsight it was sensible foresight. :O) This year the money came up, so off me and my brother went.

I don't know that I had time to be terrified during the accident, but of course the pain once I hit the ground was immense and knowing that I had damaged my back but not knowing how serious was not nice at all. The worst moment was after the X-rays when the hospital staff gathered round to tell me my back was indeed broken, quite possibly that was the most unpleasant moment of my life ever. I then had to wait flat on my back for 4 days for all the swelling to go down before they could operate and that gave me plenty of time to worry about the possibilities of what may come.

Fortunately, my family were all there with me, they worked a 24 hour rota so someone was by my side at all times. The hospital and staff were marvelous and the surgeon came and chatted to me everyday, I was in Figueras hospital in Catalunya, Spain and I have nothing but praise for that little hospital and its staff, even the cleaners were so friendly and worked really hard, good food too. :O)

• OMG how awful. I was scared to ask you what happened as I suppose I really didn't want to think about it. You were so so lucky but you know that. It doesn't bear thinking about...

Just keep those feet firmly on the ground now.

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Hi Thomas,

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear you are on the mend. Your pond is looking good and will get even better with time and the plants start to develop. I hope that it gives you a lot of pleasure as you watch it progress, I have one myself and it is very satisfying to sit and watch the wildlife that comes to it.

Graham

Be Inspired,

Dream it, Crave it, Work for it, Live it.

• The birds love the pond so much I'm not sure they use our dedicated bird bath anymore. Yesterday there was a flock of 10-ish sparrows all busy cleaning themselves in and around it alongside a great tit, the blackbirds and a goldfinch or 2. Lots of fun to watch, but they left a lot of floating liquid poo over the surface. :O)

• Ahhhhhh! With every benefit there comes a drawback...! ☺ However, it's good to hear they approve of all your efforts.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Hi Thomas
    Glad to hear you are making good progress with your recovery after that awefull accident.

Sorry I've not been able to keep up with this forum until now. Needless to say it was nice to pick it up again and read how you've all be doing.

The pond is really taking shape and looks great. You must be really be pleased with yourself. While I lost my pond skater bet, at least having birds coming to bathe in itself makes the effort all the worth while. Did you have any common darters come at all? They are still on the wing in places, so its not completely too late for them to find the pond and lay eggs.

Is yours a Home for Wildlife?
    Make your home and garden a better place for you and the wildlife that visits it. Click here and sign up today  http://www.rspb.org.uk/hfw/