Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Tiny City Pond Help

Hi all, so I've decided to try and fit a pond in to my small city garden and I'm looking for opinions about how small it really can be.

We don't have a big space and we've already got wildflower patches, a bedding area with seasonal flowers, bushes, log pile, a tree, a shed and we have a dog who needs to play on some grass.

This all doesn't leave us with much room and the only place we can squeeze a watery patch in is down next to the fence, near the shed and tree, not ideal, but its the only space left.

So I measured it out and it will be about 190 cm long (give or take) and only 70cm at its widest. From what I've read I need to make sure it is deeper than 90cm to avoid freezing completely. Does this small size sound even feasible?

We're not putting any fish in, its solely for attracting insects and if any frogs do happen to be on a city break.

• Still no pond skaters, but the plants and snails have arrived. I've also added a proper rockery with some big rocks we beach-combed from an area that gives us access to the Thames.

The pond edges of mine are a mix of grassy overhang and sort of bog, where I just piled up soil to the very top to give it a very wet slope. I've also put a small log up one end which overhangs the pond to provide a good sheltered patch. There isn't room around ours for decking or paving. :O)

• It sounds as if it's coming along nicely :)

Unknown said:

How do I post a photo link in a thread from a photo in my RSPB photo album?

Just click on the image you want us to see and when it opens copy the url and then just paste the url here and it'll automatically appear as a link to the photo.

You can also insert an image into your post here by clicking on the button at the top of this message pane...it looks like a negative and when you hover over it it says "Insert Media". Click on it, select the image on your computer and it will upload it to the message.

Good luck and any problems give us a shout :)

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Hi John, we have a small wildpond in our wild garden which we have had for about four years now.

When it was built we tried to have a sloping edge, so that wildlife could drink safely and to that end we had earth with gravel on top and grass eventually grew round the edges and was very successful for quite a time.

But now we have a big problem, as eventually, the gravel got washed into the pond and the black liner was revealed.

Something and we can only guess at what it was and still is, has clawed the liner and made holes in it and so our major job for the autumn, is going to have to be the job of renewing the liner :(

This is such a shame, as we have boulders set at just the right angles etc and plants all naturalised so will be a major job.Plus we have had a bumper year with hundreds of frogs all developing from the tadpoles and still about the area.... such cute tiny little mini frogs :)

I would be very interested if anyone has any ideas how we could have a sloping edge without this happening again please ?

• Lorraine, I just LOVE your pond. It looks fantastic, and so natural. I don't know much about ponds but I thought a small pool of water would go all yucky. I presume it's the plants that keep it fresh? Apologies for my complete ignorance on the subject. I am resisting the urge to create one myself. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not physically able to create and maintain such things.

• I have buit a few ponds over the years and have had the same problem with damage to the liner.  My solution has been to double line the pond. I use a liner then a thick layer of sand and then a second liner.  This means that even if the top layer is punctured the pond remains waterproof.  You can buy repair adhesive which even sets under water or when damp and I have found a very useful double sided adhesive tape that cane used to repair small tears.

The photograph shows the pond just after it was completed about three years ago. It consists of three interlocking pools connected by flowing water. The third large pool is about 5ft deep and contains a collection of fish.  The depth means that they are safe from our predetory herons.  The middle and third pools are now full of wild plants including bullrushes, reeds and water lily as well as water mint etc.  We have newts, toads and many insects including several species of dragonflies.  The birds love to use the two top pools for bathing and drinking and we have families of wrens who lve to use the pond edges and plants for feeding.

I couldn't live without a wildlife pond and it wa sone of the first things we installed at the house when we moved to the isle of Wight in July 2005.

• the most importent thing is sun light not enough and the pond just doesnt grow right

newts like deeper water but frogs will brreed in vewry shallow pond providing there s sun the frog spawn is always laid in the shallow sunnyest position

fish and newts dont mixe the fish eat the newt tadpoles and frogs tadpoles

fish also eat water snail eges an small snails

had fish  for years now know what its like without them and for wild life pond dont have them

you can bury the liner at the edges and cover with stones to stop the earth washing into the pond after a while plants will hold it all together

when buying water plants check the size of these plants when fully grown some grow up to 6ft tall

the friedly bid watcher

• Hi Lorraine
    Your pond looks really lovely and so well established. It is a shame the liner has been damaged. AJD Hoggies has pointed out you should be able to get a repair kit. I just put 'pond liner repair' into Google and there's loads of sites came up.

This hopefully will avoid the need for too much major disturbance. Its getting near that time of year when its safest to work on ponds, either thinning vegetation - never more than a third in any one year, or for carrying out repairs. Anything you disturb will have the chance to find refuge elsewhere in the pond or somewhere nearby, before the weather gets too cold.

Red Robin makes a good point about using larger stones as a retainer. Once the vegetation has established it should help hold the soil together. Consider using larger gravel or cobblestones - no less perhaps than 35 - 40mm. There's little chance this will be washed or scraped away. 

As Red Robin suggests, anyone considering a wildlife pond should avoid introducing fish, as they do tend to eat any amphibians and invertebrates. If, like AJD Hoggies, you have the room you could have a multi-functional water feature with fish in one area and wildlife in another and get the best of both worlds.

We can all learn from each other’s experiences here. It would be nice to know how much disturbance was necessary in the end, whether you were able to use a repair kit and any pitfalls for others in a similar situation to be aware of.  

Good luck and please keep us all posted.

In the meantime I am going to post a request into the 'Cheapies corner' thread to see if anyone in the 'Greenfingers Forum' has any ideas about a cheap and cost effective method of pond repair.

John

Is yours a Home for Wildlife?
    Make your home and garden a better place for you and the wildlife that visits it. Click here and sign up today  http://www.rspb.org.uk/hfw/

• Would love to see an update on how everyone's ponds are doing. I'm nosy like that!!

• That pond looks really lovely Lorraine, really natural looking.

Mine is doing okay, still no pond skaters though... :O( but the birds, wasps and flies love it.

However the plants all seem to have rooted okay and some of them really seem to be establishing themselves nicely, its already starting to look overgrown and we love sitting by it.

I'll try and take some more pictures of it for you paula. Unfortunately as I mention in another thread I managed to break my back whilst I was on holiday, so gardening is out of the question for me at the moment and any further improvements are now on hold for a while (thankfully I will make a full recovery and should be back to normal in a few months).

• Oh No, how awful. You must be in so much pain. It was bad enough breaking my foot earlier in the summer. As you're already aware I'm really nosy...so how did you manage to break your back? I wish you a speedy recovery. Please take care.