Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Bird Baths

Hi Everyone,

I have Pedestal Bird Bath in my garden, the problem is that no birds seem to come on it since last summer even though i cleaned and put fresh water.

Only very few birds come on it.Some tits used to come last summer but now they don't?

Now only a few pigeons come and drink  from it.

Is there a way they will come  or do i have do attract them some how?

HELP!

Best Wishes,

Superior Eagle

nature is beautiful,  why should we destroy it

' Nature is beautiful, why should we destroy it?,We share our world with such beautiful animals, we should treat them as we would like to be treated.'

• I bought one of the RSPB ones earlier this year .. after a couple of months of not using it, it seems to finally attracted some birds. I have seen the collared doves, a robin and a couple of blue tits and a dunnock use it in the last week.

I suspect it wont be in constant use, as both neighbours have ponds with waterfall features, from previous experiance, they seem to rather a shower! ;o)

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• No-one seems to have asked what sort of bird bath you have.  If it is the resin type I think they find it very slippy and can't get a grip so are reluctant to take the plunge so to speak.  I have put large pebbles in mine and it now attracts a wide variety of different sizes of birds, but they still much prefer the old concrete one, which I was going to dispose of thinking it was unhygienic.  I now have to scrub it regularly with disinfectant, but it attracts blackbirds every day and crowds of sparrows who all sit around and have a shower when the annoyed blackbird is trying to have its bath in peace!

• We have a couple of seed trays, flower pot bases and I think even a cat litter tray (unused!!!) which all get plenty of visitors. The water is topped up whenever the starlings have chucked it all out.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 30/04/2011 05:30 in reply to Maisie

We have the RSPB plastic one that is popular, and a stone bath that the birds love.

Now I have noticed that the Wood Pigeons sit in the plastic bath and leave a few presents - much to my annoyance as it messes up the bath.each and every time.

The stone bath is by our window and the birds love to use this one as it is Wood Pigeon free.

I have also seen the birds drink from the guttering in next doors conservatory - and that defeats the purpose all together of having any bird baths in the garden area..

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• I have had a metal pedestal bird bath in the garden for seven years and only this year have they started using it. It needs cleaning but when I do they leave it alone until algea has grown back in it lol. They prefer when I hose the concrete part where the dogs run and water settles in the middle of a dip and they flock in it :) and as for starlings drinking in the guttering we have them bathing in next doors so if Im hanging clothes out guess who gets a soaking lol

Sue

• Yesterday I was up and down the garden every half hour refilling my 3 bird baths guess thats the price you pay for having starlings :-)

Blackbird we have a woodpigeon who sits in our larger bird bath and has a good soak lay on his side with one wing in the air lol.

Chris S.

A very old Shropshire Lad.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 30/04/2011 15:17 in reply to ChrisS.

Hi ChrisS

I agree, that  Woodpigeons are funny when they do have a bath.   They clean their armpits at the same time, and let the feathers dry naturally.

Starlings love their communal bath together, and they do it in mass crowds of birds.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• I have a single pedestal bird bath made from reconstituted stone and can refill it from the garden hose as many as five times a day. I'm just south of Edinburgh and our water is very soft so I guess that helps?

• My concrete birdbath gets mainly drinkers, although I did see a woodpecker bathing in it the other day - for bathing, the birds seem to prefer one of the ponds, we now have two, the most recent one, just a few days old, has a nice wide stony beach leading into the water, they love that for a splash about and I suspect, a drink while they're at it.