Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Bird bath and cats

I would love to have a bird bath in the garden as my Nan has one and I love seeing the birds have a wash and splashing about in the water.

However, my mum said that it could attract the cats as quite a few of our neighbours have cats and they could get the birds.

The birds are constantly on the ground in our garden and seem ok. Would a bird bath make them more vulnerable?

Thanks for your help

• Hi,

I have three bird baths in my garden. One on a pedestal, a low bowl and one on a feeder pole. If you put your bath out in the open the birds should have enough time to see a cat coming. (there are a lot of cats near me too.)

Hope this helps

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• I have 2 bird baths - a pedestal type and a water feature jacuzzi bowl with constant running water. I have never seen a cat near either of them, but plenty of birds!.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi teddyfan1

I also have a bird bath in my garden, and although I have seen cats in the garden, they have never been anywhere near the bird bath.

Wet birds aren't more vulnerable to cats, other wise they would be easier to catch when they were wet because it had been raining.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I have three cats and my neighbour has two and they have never caught a bird from my feeders or bird bath.

My bird bath is is about 5' off the ground clipped onto a shepherds-crook style feeder pole bought from a well-known DIY/garden centre.  It is in the middle of the lawn so that cats can't jump onto it from any walls or trees.

It is actually a mesh feeding tray that I have put a plant-pot saucer in, which is cheaper and easier to clean than the ones that hang from chains (and easier to de-ice in the winter as well as you can just swap the saucers over).  

I get all types of birds from blue-tits to jays using it ( although the woodpecker completely ignores it) as well as a couple of squirrels!

• Hi Teddyfan

We have a a pedestal type at the end of the garden and last year I put a roller paint tray down in the summer. The birds appear to like this far more so it still there. Next door have two cats and I have also seen them taking a drink from time to time but they don't bother the birds and as yet have never chased the birds.

All you can do is to put an tray or dish down and see how it goes....

Robert