Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Garden Pond

Hi,   I also have a garden pond measuring 16ft x 12ft, from one end to the middle it is 3ft deep then it slopes up to 3ins at the other end this part is covered in pebbles. I also have a large waterfall.  The water in the pond is circulated through a UV system which is pumped through a big Filter, this keeps the water clear and healthy.

I have several Water Lillies Pink, Red, Yellow and White, Oxygen plants, 2 buttercup plants and a couple of grass plants.  I have Koi Carp, Goldfish and Shubimkins. A large selection of Frogs in various colours, also a couple of Red ones, a Yellow and a Black & White one, though I haven't a clue where they came from. My fish and frogs breed like mad, [the rampant sex in my pond in the spring/summer is discusting].

I have a Drake that has started coming eating what ever I have put out for the birds he has a swim on the pond, then a bath and then stands in shallow part and cleans himself then flys off.  I also have a number of Damsel and Dragonflys visiting in the summer.  The birds like having a bath under the waterfall as well. Its lovely sitting by the pond in the summer watching the fish, frogs birds etc.

• Hi Lesley and welcome to the forum.

Your pond sounds wonderful. They are great for attractive allsorts of wildlife including of course birds. Wish I had room in my garden for one.

May I suggest you don't use your full email address as your username. People outside this forum could see it and you may end up with unwanted spam.

Regards

TJ

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Lesley and welcome!

I would love to see photos of your lovely pond if you have any,sounds great!

Rachel

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Hello Lesley and welcome from me also. Your pond sounds idyllic for both wildlife and yourself.

• Hi TJ,

Thanks for your advice hun, never thought about email.  It is lovely having a pond, very nerve racking though when baby birds start learning to flying round, they all seem to make a beeline for my pond, last spring spent 8 hours in garden with my net as they all kept landing on rocks and falling in, out came net to scoop them out. In the end I shouted at all the birds and said I wasn't a baby sitting service and would they mind looking after there own babies, I was shattered thankfully none of them drowned..

Regards

Lesley x

• Hi Brenda,

I will put some photos on my photo page for you all to see, 2 will be from early last year with my 2 German Shepherd dogs standing at side by top of pond.  I have altered the waterfall system since then so that I have 2 pipes feeding waterfall.  1 of my drake swimming in it, and will go and take some now, its a show at the moment as its winter but it looks lovely in summer when all plants are in flower round pond.

Regards

Lesley x

• Hi Rachel,

Will post some photos in my gallery for you to see.  It is great having a pond, so much to see in there. Very calming to sit and watch fish and wildlife hun.

Regards,

Lesley x

• I have just this moment joined this online club, as we saw a yellow wagtail flitting around,and the survey appeared in my emails.What a lovely garden you have, it was lovely reading it.Our garden is large with a man made pond and filter system with only koi,shibunkins,orfe and goldfish.We have visits from many birds and will have fun doing the survey.Where abouts in the Uk are you.We are in Eastbourne. 

Poppy