Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

More Frog Spawn than pond.!

Took this snap of my Frogspawn today, as you can see its mostly Tadpoles now.  Hope theres enough food for them all.

www.thecynicalgardener.com

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

• Great Juno !  You must have a very healthy pond there.

• Hi Juno,

The sad reality is that there probably isn't; not by a long way. Species which produce large numbers of young are prone to high mortality rates. In a good year, many will survive to breed themselves, thus offsetting, to a degree, a bad year. Remember: From year to year, only two individuals, from the offspring and parents are required to survive, for the population to remain stable.

Hope this helps.

• It's only 8 months old, filled with Water butt water, and a bit of weed from my Dads pond, has lots of water fleas in it. But I really need to purchase more pond Plant, and I really want to see a Dragonfly pay a visit.

Today a Magpie had a bath in it, least it left the T poles alone, and it proves the T poles are not starving or perhaps they would have pulled Mr Magpie in, reminiscent of Jaws. :-)

www.thecynicalgardener.com

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

• I can remember when my children were young, I was asked by a neighbour if she could borrow an old large aquarium, in which she transferred some of her pond tadpoles. My children were fascinated as the tadpoles became frogs.