Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New garden pond

Hope I do this correctly and maybe manage a photo too. We probably made our pond a bit too late in the year as the water didn't go in until the end of July. Our garden is on the top of what used to be an old quarry and the ground is full of rubble and a concrete ridge runs diagonally under the lawn. This caused us some problems and left us with the liner having to go over the top of the ridge. I couldn't see how we could plant any groundcover plants that would manage to grow fast enough to cover the liner before winter arrives. Nor would there be much soil for grass. So I bought some hessian sacks off t'interet, cut them to various sizes, laid them over the liner reaching into the water and the laid grass turves on top of the pond edge. After only about two weeks, the grass is rooted into the sacking and sending roots into the water, and the sacking has acted as a 'wick'delivering water up to the grass. Already we have seen water boatmen, backswimmers, dragon and damsel flies, small beetles, midge larvae and some quite large diving beetles. I hope the frogs arrive as quickly next year. My 22 year old son says the pond is the best thing we have ever done and will have one too when he can afford a house!
  • If the water gets to warm, BF, and no natural shade looking back at your pictures you could artificially shade the corner were the tallest plant is, if that’s a shallow area if its not put a longish pot in with gravel on top the tadpoles will lie on top, this is what mine did in hot weather I will try and find a picture it will give you an idea, but saying this now its strange now thinking about it I thick I said to someone they looked like they were sunbathing!!

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• The picture was taken in May 2007 at 15.53pm and looking at the picture it was sunny and warm that day.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I get what you mean about the pot. Thanks. Hope get some frogs and going to make some toad abodes. Although I've read the toads prefer deeper water to breed . But if they pass throughthey can stay awhile

Gill

• Sadly I have never seen a toad around here :( plenty of frogs though and its nice to know the small ones will have been born in this little pond :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Lovely pond BF.  I don't have one, but am thinking of making one, I just need to decide where to site it and, like you, sort out the conflicting advice.  I think it will be a case of making a pond to fit my garden in the end.

Annie

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Einstein

• Someone had said to me when i was dithering "Just get on with it and dig a hole". I think that's just what I should have done. Plenty of shallows, plenty of plants and easy for hedgehogs to get out and birds to bathe and drink. I wish I had listened.