Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Moving a plant in the garden & this frog jumped out!

Hi all

I know nothing about frogs, but this one jumped onto this conifer when we were moving a plant in the garden. I don't have a pond, but this is by far the wettest part of the garden, next to the water butt. She's quite big, about as big as the palm of my hand. Really pretty. :-))

Is it a common frog?

Best wishes Chris

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Hi Woodpecker

It could be a toad!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26/02/2010 23:16 in reply to Janet

Hi Woodpecker

I am in agreement with Janet that it  could be a Toad due to its size, and the look of it's skin tone - bumpy and lumpy.

http://www.countrysideinfo.co.uk/toads.htm

There are two types of Toads in the UK - so it must be one of them.  It looks more like a Common Toad to me.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Woodpecker,

your photo definately looks like a Frog.

If it jumped as your first line states then it is a Frog. Toads walk or crawl like a commando! 

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 26/02/2010 23:26 in reply to Buzzard

Hi Buzzard

Mind you the coluration looks more like a Frog.

As Chris has mentioned are Frogs as big as the palm of your hand?

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Definitely a common frog. As Buzzard said, frog hop, toads walk or crawl. Frogs also have a more pointed 'nose' that toads do.

Blackbird is right that frogs are smoother than toads which are 'warty' but these bumps on yours aren't uncommon in a frog!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Buzzard said:
    If it jumped as your first line states then it is a Frog.

Hi Buzzard, Janet, Blackbird & MarJus :-)

I can assure you all that this thing jumps. I have seen it several times, despite the pic it is quite shiny not matt and it could jump for England.

One day, a long time ago, I saw a very small frog jump out from near to my shed. I picked it up on a dustpan and put it in the flowerbed. This could possibly even be that frog....

p.s. It definitely didn't turn into a Prince. :-(

Best wishes Chris

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I have a family of these too :)

I was surprised at just how large they get, i think i must have several generations here because some are as small as a fingernail and some are like yours !!!

My new neighbours 2 doors down have recently done the unmentionable and filled in a huge pond, i suggested they just made it smaller but no ...... there was no telling them, in one go they completely demolished it.

I was horrified.

Just how awful can some people be ???

• Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

We had one in our garden and my dog got it, he was frothing at the mouth and being sick, I phoned the vet and he told me that toads give off a horrible taste, would make dog sick for a while but he will be alright.

I have some that live in a big fern I have in the garden, they like it damp all the time and come out at night to feed.

That one looks like the one my dog got, toad.( My dog never hurt it, he dropped it when he tasted it )

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• I think it is a common frog, because of the dark brown patches behind the eye, the barring on the hind legs and its snout looks quite pointed from what I can see.

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Hi woodpecker

Did you get to touch the toad / frog.

i found this:

Besides toads having dry, warty skin, while frogs have wet, smooth skin, there are other basic differences between them. Frogs have tiny teeth on both upper and lower jaws, while toads lack any teeth. Frogs have longer hind legs than toads. So frogs jump, while toads hop. And when it comes to laying their eggs, female toads lay them in long, parallel strings, while female frogs lay their eggs singly, in small or large clumps, on the water surface.

You didn't put your finger in it mouth did you?

Do you want to try to see if it has teeth?

lol