Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pecking around the hole?

Hi All

Just thought i'd share this with you, in the wildlife enquiries team here at the RSPB we often get asked 'why is that bird pecking at the entrance hole?'

A good question, it is certainly nothing to worry about and you don't need to go out there to make the hole bigger! Many birds including blue and great tits start prospecting potential nest sites over winter. Part of this behaviour seems to include pecking around the entrance hole. Now i've heard a few theories as to why they would do it including to give them a better foot hold, to let other birds know it is occupied or it is a ritualised behaviour.  The thinking behind the latter is that birds often have to peck around the edge of natural tree holes to make them suitable, this behaviour is then also carried over to artificial sites even though the hole should be the right size. Personally i like to think of it as being a bit like whenever humans move into a new place, we just like to make it our own, maybe it is the same for birds.

If you have got other theories, it'd be interesting to share them. Ones things for sure, if you see birds doing this, there is a good chance they will stick around to breed come the spring time!

IanH

Warden Intern at Otmoor.

• Hello.

Don't really have any new theories as to why birds peck round the hole in a nest box.  I think the ritulised behaviour theory is the most likely.  I'd imagine that birds are so used to having to adjust holes in trees that when it comes to nesting in boxes, adjusting the entrance hole is second nature to them.

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Could it not also be to ensure the 'solidness' of the edge to avoid predation; as predators generally make the whole bigger for access?

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Thanks for interesting info, IanH.  Think your theories sound good, as we all like to personalise our homes. MarJus has a possible theory, too perhaps, as predators must be a major issue when choosing a nest site.

• I just had a thought ( it happens from time to time !). We have had to reinforce some of the entrances into our bird boxes as we have problems with squirrels gnawing at the holes so they can get at the eggs. We must have upset some poor birds, who thought they had personalised their homes. Thanks for your information IanH.

• Maybe having a slightly ragged edge would make the hole less conspicuous? Nature has very few straight lines (or perfect circles for that matter!)...

Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games [Robert Falcon Scott]

• Ian H said:

Hi All

Just thought i'd share this with you, in the wildlife enquiries team here at the RSPB we often get asked 'why is that bird pecking at the entrance hole?'

A good question, it is certainly nothing to worry about and you don't need to go out there to make the hole bigger! Many birds including blue and great tits start prospecting potential nest sites over winter. Part of this behaviour seems to include pecking around the entrance hole. Now i've heard a few theories as to why they would do it including to give them a better foot hold, to let other birds know it is occupied or it is a ritualised behaviour.  The thinking behind the latter is that birds often have to peck around the edge of natural tree holes to make them suitable, this behaviour is then also carried over to artificial sites even though the hole should be the right size. Personally i like to think of it as being a bit like whenever humans move into a new place, we just like to make it our own, maybe it is the same for birds.

If you have got other theories, it'd be interesting to share them. Ones things for sure, if you see birds doing this, there is a good chance they will stick around to breed come the spring time!

IanH

Ian i have a wood pecker in my garden, possibly 2 , recently i noticed the male checking out the nest box to the full, This included ;- going inside for a short time and when he came out examined the box carefully going right around it checking the top, underside and finally back to the front and started to peck around the entrance at the front , i wonder if they try to peck out little grooves in the wood so that they may have a better grip when going through the hole or does this mark the box as theirs, i have seen the woodpecker back to visit the box and secretly feeds near by usually early morning, do you think he might be thinking about using this nest box.  I hope this reply is posted as i have had a few tech problems posting recently      

• Another interesting theory! Perhaps the reason for the pecking could be a combination of any or all of these things depending on the particular situation...

Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games [Robert Falcon Scott]

• Hi IanH,

I have 2 theories:

I think it is either to make the hole slightly bigger or it is some kind it mating ritual     beween the birds.

Best, Coal.

Birding , Birding, Birding !

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/12/2009 23:30

I have got an open robin nest box that has been chewed around the edges. I presumed the squirrels had vandalised it. Does it just generally happen to nestboxes with holes rather than the open type?

• i think some my bluetits are a bit bigger and seeing them i think the holes are on the small side if you use thick wood as you should do

i have watched them over a few years to draw this conclusion

the friedly bid watcher