Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue Tits

Good afternoon!! 

So over the past month or so I have noticed two blue tits at the top of the garden. I popped to the shops and bought a new  retro caravan bird box in the off chance the would nest,Rofl,,! And they have!!!!! I am over the moon! I  have put out peanuts and fruit and believe pet fur and moss will help them build. Is there any other advice that would benefit them?  I also have  a cat that will walk the fence but doesn’t seem too interested.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Hatching chick

• Hi Wendy and welcome to the forum ... the subject of pet fur for nesting material came up a few days ago and many articles on Google advise that any pet fur from flea treated animals would be toxic to wild birds ... another point is that whole or half peanuts should not be available during nesting period as adults could try to feed to youngsters which could choke them, well chopped up in food processor or bought as kibbled would be fine!  It may well be that your cat could become more interested when cheeps & feather flutters can be heard, is it possible to keep the cat in until after chicks have fledged? ... some more info for you here ...

www.bto.org/.../blue-tit-diary

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr