Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nesting Material

With the fast approaching nesting time coming up, what will you be putting out for the birds to assist in this activity.

Bespoke calenders & videos on request. Orders for 2012 now being taken. See my work at www.youtube.com/richardclaxtoncni

• I usually put out some dogs hair in a fat ball feeder when I cut Brambles hair. (Don't tell her it's nearly time though)

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• my chickens will be providing free nesting materials.... ,also ,ive  watched to my amusement sparrows pulling hair of my mates german shepards  back... so answer to your question not alot but its fun watching them collecting feathers ....

• I was just going to star a thread on this!

Just a question - is wool good for them? Wool as in, knitting wool chopped short. Some books suggest this but is it safe for the birds, when it's like, a manmade material?

'Dip a dee dah, dip a dee ay, we're not seeing any birds to-day...'

• I will be putting out fur groomed from our lovely rabbit Nala!

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Hi Tern,

Not sure about the answer to your wool question - I have thought about this also. 

Pure wool yarn should be OK, and many artificial yarns are cellulose based and so presumably are OK too but some yarns are chemically produced.  I think it would take a bit of background work to out what any individual yarn was composed of, or, if chemically manufactured would have a detrimental effect on nests,nesting or the environment.

ClaireM

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• I've been told that human hair is a good idea, is it?

• Hi cni. What an interesting thread and so much dog hair! My birds have been nestling in spare bits of my friends german shepherd for a few years now. My own dog is a whippet x so he doesn't have much to spare! My birds seem to prefer german shepherd to labrador hair, has anyone else noticed preferences like this? Best wishes Ness.
    A garden is a thing of beauty and a job forever!
  • When I pluck the winter coat of the rabbits the birds can use that, Mum used to do this when I was wee with the dog hair, a wee bit hay when I'm sorting the rabbits will be left in the spring.

Fluff from the tumble drier was mentioned in another thread,so have started doing saving that for the birds.

The birds collect wool form the sheep in front + there is plenty caught in the hawthorn trees!!

I would imagine that human hair would be good I put ours in the wormery but it often goes through the process twice. Might leave some for the birds as well!!

When I cut back the ornamental grasses some are v long I pop these in the hedge + the sparrows love to pick this up. Also leave lots of the dead honeysuckle clematis etc for the birds to use. Nearly finished cutting all the hedges today sothe birds can decide where they fancy building!! Oh so exciting!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Hi CNI

I think we had a similar thread last week

Another alternative was tumble dryer fluff, but mine wasn't taken last year.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• I would suggest that you steer clear of sheep wool, I have come across several nesting  birds with this material wrapped around their legs. This could in my view tighten around the legs causing the circulation to cut off and the leg to die.

Regards Richard  

Bespoke calenders & videos on request. Orders for 2012 now being taken. See my work at www.youtube.com/richardclaxtoncni